Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I bought my first full suspension bike yesterday (2 year old Giant AC2) and had a great ride on it last night. The only thing that needs attention is the rear shock!, it's a lot more bouncy than any full sus bike I have tried before (Whyte 46,Spec Epic).

As I'm a suspension noob I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of this bike/shock or not, and I'm not sure whether there is a way to tweak the rebound damping or not. The shock is the original Rock Shock Deluxe Pro and I weight about 170lb(85kg).

The bike is in mint condition for a 2 year old bike so I know it hasn't been abused, but I don't know how long shocks last before they need a service . I don't really want to go out and shell out £250 on a new shock either, I would like a cheaper way to sort it out :)

Please heeeeeeeeeeeelp

Oh ... and I no idea how to set it up either :/

Cheers

Matt

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Wild guess...

I'm going to a guess that you picked up one of those killer deals on that dark blueish '03 AC2? My buddy has one to.

If I remember right, that has a Manitou Swinger or something real similar BUT the key is that the shock probably has NO AIR in it!!! Stop riding it before you damage it!! At least that's what a shop mechanic told me anyway.

Those were shipped with no air in them with the intent that they be setup propery when someone bought the bike. You should REALLY find a shop who can help you set it up properly or at least download the instructions and make a stab at it yourself.

Either way get some air in that shock!

·
Registered
8 Posts
well the AC AIR is the only model i recall coming with an AIR shock.. However if its a Coil over you can put a heavier oil in the shock to slow down the rebound.... it super easy and even a noob can do it! If it is indeed an AIR shock dont mess with it... Send it back to have it serviced if need be..

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
TriageNAM said:
However if its a Coil over you can put a heavier oil in the shock to slow down the rebound.... it super easy and even a noob can do it!
I dont' know about the RS Deluxe, but on Giant HV's you'd rather not try to open it (or charge/change oil) without depressurizing it first !!!!! It has a sticker stating that the shock is high pressure inside and when you remove the coil and cycles it you can feel the pressure of air and the shock returns to full extend thanks to it. It has a IFP (Internal Floating Piston). These shocks need to be depressurized with a special needle.

Verify first if your shock is pressurized or not. May it have a rebound adjustment knob - red one generally at the rear shock head??? Play with it.

First, set the correct SAG for your weight, that might be a culprit too. your AC has a 7.5"X 2" shock. Move the rubber bumper all the way towards the shock body end and sit in riding position on the bike without bouncing. Dismount and measure the distance between the bumper and the shock body. If it's between 13 and 19mm (0.5" - 0.75") it'll be OK. If less than 1/2" loosen the spring nut until achieve it. Otherwise tighten it. If you need 4 or more turns to get sag, you need a stiffer spring. If it needs less than 1.5 turns, you need lighter one.

Once SAG is correct, you can play with the rebound.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
It has a...

Warp2003 said:
I dont' know about the RS Deluxe, but on Giant HV's you'd rather not try to open it (or charge/change oil) without depressurizing it first !!!!! It has a sticker stating that the shock is high pressure inside and when you remove the coil and cycles it you can feel the pressure of air and the shock returns to full extend thanks to it. It has a IFP (Internal Floating Piston). These shocks need to be depressurized with a special needle.

Verify first if your shock is pressurized or not. May it have a rebound adjustment knob - red one generally at the rear shock head??? Play with it.

First, set the correct SAG for your weight, that might be a culprit too. your AC has a 7.5"X 2" shock. Move the rubber bumper all the way towards the shock body end and sit in riding position on the bike without bouncing. Dismount and measure the distance between the bumper and the shock body. If it's between 13 and 19mm (0.5" - 0.75") it'll be OK. If less than 1/2" loosen the spring nut until achieve it. Otherwise tighten it. If you need 4 or more turns to get sag, you need a stiffer spring. If it needs less than 1.5 turns, you need lighter one.

Once SAG is correct, you can play with the rebound.
The '03 AC2 has a Manitou Swinger (I'm pretty sure) on it with a coil and the remote reservoir. If you look at the remote resrvoir, there's a small bump on the end which is the air valve. The only reason I remember is because my buddy's AC2 had no air in his Swinger and the wrench at Slick Rock Cycles in Moab said "um, you probably don't want to be riding that with no air." Yippee...

[sound of crickets chirping]

I remembered right, here's the bike: http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2003&model=10661

Actually Giant calls it a "Manitou Swinger coil w/4-way adjustment" You should be able to tune that thing within an inch of it's life! Just don't ride it without air!

G

·
I have an AC2 with that shock

The rock Shox Pro Deluxe is coil over oil. There are to dampers adjustments, one for pressure, one for rebound.

The spring also might not be the wright rate for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.