Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I bought my first full suspension bike yesterday (2 year old Giant AC2) and had a great ride on it last night. The only thing that needs attention is the rear shock!, it's a lot more bouncy than any full sus bike I have tried before (Whyte 46,Spec Epic).

As I'm a suspension noob I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of this bike/shock or not, and I'm not sure whether there is a way to tweak the rebound damping or not. The shock is the original Rock Shock Deluxe Pro and I weight about 170lb(85kg).

The bike is in mint condition for a 2 year old bike so I know it hasn't been abused, but I don't know how long shocks last before they need a service :(

Please heeeeeeeeeeeelp

Oh ... and I no idea how to set it up either :/

Cheers

Matt

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
There should atleast be a rebound knob on it. Also try messing with the preload of the spring. That's just unscrewing and screwing the threaded thing that is on one end of the shock. That might fix your problem but it might not...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that COmtbiker12

I didn't realise what the red grub screw was, I thought it was a pinch bold :/ and its actually the rebound damping adjustment - played around with it and its working like a dream now

What affect on your riding does adjusting the preload have ? does it just make it firmer ?

Thanks

Matt

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
ma77smith said:
What affect on your riding does adjusting the preload have ? does it just make it firmer ?

Thanks

Matt
Preloadis used to set your sag. Usually no more than 3-4 complete turns should be used, if it is you need a stronger spring. Otherwise, you risk damaging your shock and the bike will ride like [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.