Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes I know, this is a hybrid. But it is based on the Alloy/carbon XC racing frame. Any idea about the tyre clearance?

P::..

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I think you're confused Nightfire...

The "hybrid" refers to the fact that it's a aluminum/carbon hybrid and not a hybrid frame designed to take 700c wheels. That's just a 26" wheel XTC frame if I'm not mistaken.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
oh I dunno. Giant has been rumored to have a 29" in development for a while now. I certainly wouldn't count it out. But yes, I'd like to see some wheels in there for sure before it can be declared a false rumor.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
nightfire said:

Yes I know, this is a hybrid. But it is based on the Alloy/carbon XC racing frame. Any idea about the tyre clearance?

Nope. That is a 26" wheel frame, same as the XtC 1 complete bike. The chainstays are about 16.8".

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
For mere mortals, I take (finally figured out) you took the fixed distance between the IS disc mounts, and calculated the chainstays with it?

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Cloxxki said:
For mere mortals, I take (finally figured out) you took the fixed distance between the IS disc mounts, and calculated the chainstays with it?
That is exactly how I did it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doh.

I will explain were I went wrong. When looking at wiggle.co.uk (an online store in the UK) I read the following.

"If you're a rider that rides as fast off-road as on there's only one bike for you - the Giant XtC. With a super light AluxX butted frame and state of the art road components, for cross country racing or fast trail riding there are few hardtail bikes that can equal the Giant XtC."

With comments like "as fast Off-road as on" and "state of the art road components" I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Sorry all.

BTW I have tried a 29er wheel in an Alloy XtC frame and the chainstay would be long enough at 16.8 as they have a wide clearance. Unfortunatly the wishbone seatstays are about 3" to short!!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I assume you're looking at 26" frames that accept 29" wheels to have a BB height corrected for the 210mm cranks you're flirting with? I might give that a go to build a budget long-crank training bike.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't looking at that Giant as a 26", I thought it was a 700c wheel hybrid. I just happened to have a could of old Giant alloy frames at home that I will never use and was curious to see if they would fit.

The 210mm Zinn Cranks will be for the Lenz, if I get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts