Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has any insight of what's Giant cooking???

I'm especially interested in the low-end level (Warps in particular, the ones I can buy... hehe) but also in the whole line too.

James are you in there???

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Ya...

Where is all of the info on the '05 Giants? I have seen pictures of all of the Specialized bikes, as well as the new Trek Fuel EX. New Konas are posted, picture of Cannondale Prophet is around. GF Cakes are up... What about Giant? I have heard / seen just about nothing regarding them. I wonder how much longer it will be before the juicy details start flowing...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Looks good

Fkahb said:
Judging by the phantom site, things look alright. Giant seems to be using a very wide variety of parts on their bikes. Easton, Sram (a lot of people will like that), Shimano, Truvativ, Manitou, RockShox... Lots of variety. I still wonder if they will do anything new this year. Also, i noticed the NRS 1 had carbon... Interesting. There are still more bikes to be seen...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The 2005 is good co's it's 2005, though I expected a lot better components than that. Some have the newer parts and others is not so good.

If you look at the VT for example, it's not as good as last years (some good & some not so good). I have a VT2 04 and I'm happy that I both it and my mate both a bargain VT1, I mean a bargain!
I do agree on the frame though with no change co's they are awesome design (well done Giant).

Come on Giant, give us the public some value for money, co's the bike thing in general are too expensive to buy and you think these are all made in Taiwan!!!!

Looking forward to 2005, wait...waiting....tick tuck..

cheers

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm hoping this 2005 lineup isnt too accurate. Initial reaction is dissapointment because the fudged up a few bikes..........mainly the ones that interest me, the NRS Air and NRS 1. Both are becomming waay too expensive and have little more to offer over the 2004's. I'm very dissapointed in their choice of front forks........the Fox on the Air is way too general use of a fork for an XC race specific bike. Bring back the SID's. And the REBA is just a POS for XC racing (over 3.5lbs????? the Manitou SPV they spec'd for 04 was bad enough), I am happy to see the NRS 1 is carbon, but it's price has gone up by almost $1000 (assuming these are canadian $).

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Benno said:
I'm hoping this 2005 lineup isnt too accurate. Initial reaction is dissapointment because the fudged up a few bikes..........mainly the ones that interest me, the NRS Air and NRS 1. Both are becomming waay too expensive and have little more to offer over the 2004's. I'm very dissapointed in their choice of front forks........the Fox on the Air is way too general use of a fork for an XC race specific bike. Bring back the SID's. And the REBA is just a POS for XC racing (over 3.5lbs????? the Manitou SPV they spec'd for 04 was bad enough), I am happy to see the NRS 1 is carbon, but it's price has gone up by almost $1000 (assuming these are canadian $).
I'm pretty sure that the sites listed above are in Oz, so they would be in Austrailian currency, which I'm thinking is a bit different from Canadian. Also, I understand that Giants are more over there in general, form what I've heard.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Trend?

Benno said:
...becomming way too expensive and have little more to offer over the 2004's.
Is it just me, or does this seem to be a general trend for many brands this year?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
rkj__ said:
Is it just me, or does this seem to be a general trend for many brands this year?
Most Giant bikes models got upgraded and got cheaper! But yes, the NRS1 is more expensive, I've been hearing really good things about the Reba tho(for a rock shox..).
And fox is one of the best XC race forks, even for it's weight.
On another note. Does any one know if the current frames are Butted?? Cause for 2005 they are caliming on all thier frames that they are either doulbe butted or the XTC has triple butted? Just new names for the old frames, or have the changed the way they make the frames?!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rkj__ said:
No. it is not you.... According to MBAction prices on raw materials are rising this year and bikes will be more expensive mext year. NOW it's a good time to get stuff for cheap.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
bike_freak said:
Most Giant bikes models got upgraded and got cheaper! But yes, the NRS1 is more expensive, I've been hearing really good things about the Reba tho(for a rock shox..).
And fox is one of the best XC race forks, even for it's weight.
On another note. Does any one know if the current frames are Butted?? Cause for 2005 they are caliming on all thier frames that they are either doulbe butted or the XTC has triple butted? Just new names for the old frames, or have the changed the way they make the frames?!
I stopped caring about suspension reviews when I realized a few years ago that they all do the same thing. The all have rebound and compression damping, and atleast a fully adjustable positive air setup. Shaving a pound off of fork weight drastically improves the entire handling characteristics of the bike (in a positive way). I'll take that over a stable platform system any day, cause if your that worried about it just get a fork with a lockout. I'm assuming that these arent the North American Giants, or lets just say I'm hoping. If it is, my advice is to buy an NRS-1, sell off all the crap parts, and spec it the way you want cause your gonna get the carbon frame now. I also assume that Giant will produce an Aluminum version of the NRS-1 that will be along the same MSRP as the 2004 one ($3200 CAD).
As for Giant butting their tubing...........I havent been around all that long but as I can remember they were butting the CU92 tubing they had back in '99. There probably just messing around with their fluid form technology, dont expect anything drastic except for maybe a full carbon hardtail. (I thought maybe they would start producing carbon swingarms too, though this has little weight saving advantage)
Either way we'll find out soon enough, in the next few months..............Giant is always late to release there lineup to the public and is very early to sell out. Start placing your orders for your NRS Air's now!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Benno said:
I stopped caring about suspension reviews when I realized a few years ago that they all do the same thing. The all have rebound and compression damping, and atleast a fully adjustable positive air setup. Shaving a pound off of fork weight drastically improves the entire handling characteristics of the bike (in a positive way). I'll take that over a stable platform system any day, cause if your that worried about it just get a fork with a lockout. I'm assuming that these arent the North American Giants, or lets just say I'm hoping. If it is, my advice is to buy an NRS-1, sell off all the crap parts, and spec it the way you want cause your gonna get the carbon frame now. I also assume that Giant will produce an Aluminum version of the NRS-1 that will be along the same MSRP as the 2004 one ($3200 CAD).
As for Giant butting their tubing...........I havent been around all that long but as I can remember they were butting the CU92 tubing they had back in '99. There probably just messing around with their fluid form technology, dont expect anything drastic except for maybe a full carbon hardtail. (I thought maybe they would start producing carbon swingarms too, though this has little weight saving advantage)
Either way we'll find out soon enough, in the next few months..............Giant is always late to release there lineup to the public and is very early to sell out. Start placing your orders for your NRS Air's now!
I am almost sure that Giant will be making a carbon hardtail for 2005 in the States. As for how it is going to be spec'd, we will have to wait for the 2nd week in September to find out. The Giants ion those other links are not USA Giants, ours will be different. Models being spec'd differently and color difference.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
ILxcMTNbiker said:
I am almost sure that Giant will be making a carbon hardtail for 2005 in the States. As for how it is going to be spec'd, we will have to wait for the 2nd week in September to find out. The Giants ion those other links are not USA Giants, ours will be different. Models being spec'd differently and color difference.
Yeah, the more I thought about it the less it made sense. They still have the potential to screw them up, but I have a feeling they will be pretty sweet. So Giant updates their webpage around the 15th?? I'm interested in the NRS Air and TCR Zero

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sept 15th

Benno said:
Yeah, the more I thought about it the less it made sense. They still have the potential to screw them up, but I have a feeling they will be pretty sweet. So Giant updates their webpage around the 15th?? I'm interested in the NRS Air and TCR Zero
....and Giant hasn't shown any signs of life..... how long should we wait.. I'm impatient!!

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Warp2003 said:
....and Giant hasn't shown any signs of life..... how long should we wait.. I'm impatient!!
Why is giant so far behind? Many companies have their new bikes up already, like Specialized, Kona, and Cannondale. Even the rumors regarding Giant are still rather minimal. The only real info i have seen is what is on the Au site, and the components can vary a lot nation to nation. Also, ILxcMTNbiker is confident there will be a MCM carbon hardtail, no evidence of that yet. Giant seems to be good at keeping secrets ;) ... I wonder if there will be anyting worth waiting for...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rkj__ said:
Giant seems to be good at keeping secrets ;) ... I wonder if there will be anyting worth waiting for...
A couple of points... maybe they're waiting for all the brands adjust their lines and so Giant could adjust its own production schedule/lines (remember they make a lot of bikes for several other companies).

Their Maestro stuff looks like a VPP. But that's all we know. Do they keep their IRD department in their backyard at Taiwan???

Maybe they just don't have any novelty left for next year and that's why they are not "flashing".

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Warp2003 said:
A couple of points... maybe they're waiting for all the brands adjust their lines and so Giant could adjust its own production schedule/lines (remember they make a lot of bikes for several other companies).

Their Maestro stuff looks like a VPP. But that's all we know. Do they keep their IRD department in their backyard at Taiwan???

Maybe they just don't have any novelty left for next year and that's why they are not "flashing".
If no one posts it, i'll have all the catalogues tomorrow night after we book all the bike for next year. I,ll keep you posted...

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.