Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...stoked to say my El Rey is entirely done transforming and literally, if I were offered parts for free there is nothing I would change. Some parts have moved to another bike (eg, original seatpost moved to fully rigid bike, etc). Since receiving the bike from El Beastiality, think I have switched saddle, post, brakes, bars (twice now), cranks, shifter cables.

I can honestly say that this is BY FAR the best bike I have ever owned. It is nothing short of perfect.

Rode today with an arch rival from the Turner forum (2turnersnotenough) and we had a killer time, even though it was hawt as a mofo. He too is a 29er zealot so while I despise him for his choice of 29er FS (Sultan), we share riding perceptions 100% (he has a Flux, for now...an RFX, and had a Spot as well).

Anyway...these are final pics as I am bored right now waiting for kids to need to go to bed so i can crack open a few beers and watch the UFC I taped from last night...new parts as follows as of original build received from the beast:

* bars (I just cant get my mind around using carbon bars on more than hardtail...so they have moved)
* brakes - moved Juicy 7s over to the Inbred
* seatpost - moved Moots Ti post to Inbred
* cranks - sold the Truvativs that came on bike. The bash I used with new cranks looks so b!tchin in person, as if its custom made for the cranks (ordered another set for another bike already I love them so much)
* saddle - just couldnt stomach the fact his ass was on saddle he sold it with

Build is as follows...per what I think is an accurate digital scale, right at 29.9 lbs which is right where I want it as my goal for this bike to do all I wanted was 30 lbs.

• Frame = '07 El Rey, large, cosmic orange
  • Rear shock = Fox Float R Pro Pedal air shock w/ High Volume canister with PUSH factory tuning
  • Fork = '08 Fox F29
  • Brakes = Hope M4s with braided housing (180/180)
  • Stem = Thompson X4
  • Seatpost = Thomson setback
  • Saddle = Selle Italia SLR XC
  • Headset = King
  • Bars = Synros Bulk
  • Grips = ODI lock on grips
  • Cranks = XTR M970 w/ FSA Bash
  • Drivetrain = SRAM X.9 drivetrain w/trigger shifters, SRAM 11-34 PG-990 cassette, w/ Clark stainless shifter cables
  • Wheelset = Industry Nines (half black/silver spokes with silver front, black rear hubs) with 9mm axle on front hub using DT Swiss Ratchet Skewer
  • Tires = Panaracer Rampages (w/ tubes)

And a pic of me posing at peak of climb from today's ride

Will post up pics of transformed Moto once I receive one more part to complete its changes...

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nat said:
Cool bike, but you are one skinny motherfocker! Can I buy you a meal or something?
thanks man, but no thanks.

yep, 6'2-ish", 175 lbs...my girlish figure helps me to not intimidate the chicks as much...makes em think i am one of the girls. In fact, I think my non phatazzness is why they kicked me out of the Homer club.

did i tell you i saw sex in the city?

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
So now that the bike is built... has anyone started a pool on how long it'll be around.

You seem stoked... should be a while, eh?

Just ribbing... mostly. ;)

And yeah, it's because I'm jealous.

JmZ

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
FoShizzle said:
thanks man, but no thanks.

yep, 6'2-ish", 175 lbs...my girlish figure helps me to not intimidate the chicks as much...makes em think i am one of the girls. In fact, I think my non phatazzness is why they kicked me out of the Homer club.

did i tell you i saw sex in the city?
Don't worry, I wuz reprezentin' for the Bartlett-shaped riders brigade (aka the Homers).

Friends don't let friends wear race fit XC jerseys when they're a little thick around the middle.
[IMAGE DELETED-I'll spare you the gory details. It was a fargin' hot day and it was the coolest jersey I had]

And yes, riding with you really makes me feel like a fatazz.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2TurnersNotEnough said:
Don't worry, I wuz reprezentin' for the Bartlett-shaped riders brigade (aka the Homers).

Friends don't let friends wear race fit XC jerseys when they're a little thick around the middle.
[IMAGE DELETED-I'll spare you the gory details. It was a fargin' hot day and it was the coolest jersey I had]

And yes, riding with you really makes me feel like a fatazz.
dude, what are you talking about? you are very NOT a fatazz...just becuz you have what, 3 or 4 turners...you are not a Homer as you actually have people (and riding) skillz. Anybody who does 24 hour solo races cant possibly be a Homer in my book man!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Nice frame and color the rest looks like it belongs on a road bike, points for sram rd and fd x9 though, and piss pot an arm and knee pads, no Homie would be seen dead wearing that GHEY shitz on a 20ginger:D

I thought we taught you better with ya hardcore 06 RFX sheesh Fo now ya joined the road bike dirt club:confused: :p

And only a roadie would run his brakes backwards:D

Still nice Ventana:thumbsup:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
trailadvent said:
Nice frame and color the rest looks like it belongs on a road bike, points for sram rd and fd x9 though, and piss pot an arm and knee pads, no Homie would be seen dead wearing that GHEY shitz on a 20ginger:D

I thought we taught you better with ya hardcore 06 RFX sheesh Fo now ya joined the road bike dirt club:confused: :p

And only a roadie would run his brakes backwards:D

Still nice Ventana:thumbsup:
haha

actually, while not a 6" travel build of course, it actually is not a roadie build compared to most 29er XC FS builds I have observed; 28mm rims...no carbon anywhere...tubes in tires, real non girly brakes, etc. Only pseudo roadie item I think would be the saddle with its Ti rails. Fortunately, given I have a girlish figure as so diplomatically pointed out by Nat, i could give a ratz azz about a few pounds.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.