Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was patching a flat when i got a bit bored and decide to try the ghetto tubeless, just for shits n giggles. My setup is: WTB Dual Duty Rim (19c / rimbrake), cheap duct date over velox, 26x1.5 tube, worn out WTB Nanoraptor 29er tires. I was super surprised when the tired inflated with just my floor pump - i used soapy water and pushed down on the tire above the valve stem and just pumped like mad, and it ended up seating.

So my questions are,
a) the only sealant i found lying around was this tile/grout liquid sealant. I doubt it will work but i don't want to spend any money on this project. Anyone ever had luck with just random sealants?
b) So if i did get some sealant in there, once i trim off the excess tube, do i need to create a new rim strip if i never take the tire off? That is to say, will it ever work again once the strip has been cut down?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well its holding air with the 'sealant', i guess the rim strip may or may not be reusable.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
plenty of people have had success with reusing ghetto rim strips. ive had both experiences. but im not too sure if you can reuse it with your situation.

for me it depended on the rim and how much excess i left on the rim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts