Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just converted my front wheel poor man tubeless style. I went the 20" BMX tube strip route with homebrew sealant. Wheel setup: Old Bontrager Race Lite Disc (the yellow one) rim, DT Swiss disc hub, Bontrager ACX 2.2 tire. Homebrew: MoldBuilder Latex, Tubeless Slime, Windex. Procedure:1)Removed Velox rimtape,installed strapping tape.2)Installed 20" tube,cut down middle.3)Installed tire,added homebrew.4)suds up tire,inflated with compressor.5)Held wheel vertically and shook,rotate,shook.6)Observed alot of leaks,deflated tire,added more homebrew,shake again. It took a day and a half for the tire to seal.To test,I hit a 2' to flat.The tire held! I'm leaving on a 12 mile ride right now,I'll report later today.Just in case,I'm packing 2 tubes,CO2,and knee/shinguards! :D

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far,

No problems! I went on a 10 mile loop, semi technical, some serious downhill, rock gardens, and 2'-4' drops. My front tire held air. I was somewhat skeptical about this set-up,but so far so good. I think I'm going to deflate the tire and remove some of the sealant,as I put a double dose in due to paranoial. I GAINED 5 grams going Ghetto Tubeless over tire/tube set-up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Boulder Pilot said:
No problems! I went on a 10 mile loop, semi technical, some serious downhill, rock gardens, and 2'-4' drops. My front tire held air. I was somewhat skeptical about this set-up,but so far so good. I think I'm going to deflate the tire and remove some of the sealant,as I put a double dose in due to paranoial. I GAINED 5 grams going Ghetto Tubeless over tire/tube set-up.
I get a lot of flats and am going to try the "ghetto tubless" What was the mixture you tried{ratios}. Can I get that latex stuff at a local store. If so which ones would you recomend. How much mixture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.