Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having troubles setting up my "Ghetto Tubeless" on my 26" Wheels. I used a BMX inner tube (20"), 26" Tires, and Stan Sealant. My problem is that I cannot get the tire to inflate even with a compressor. It seems like the tire does not adhere completely to the walls of the rims, so the air escapes not making it possible to inflate.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

I used this video as a guide on how to do the ghetto tubeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQX3CciWsSg

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Some rims work better than others, ones with a good bead shelf tend to work much better than "U" shaped rim cavities.

Also your success rate tends to increase with the use of Tubeless or Tubeless Ready tires over standard tires.

Inherent in the phrase "Getto" is that it will not always work. I have made it work and I have had tires blow off the rims with a deafening boom spraying sealant all over my garage. I've also burped the front tire on the trail which caused a crash and I was unable to get the tire re-seated with a mini-pump (best to carry a CO2 cannisters for this). I'm getting to old for the risk now so I use actual tubeless ready rims and tires that inflate with a floor pump these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, do you think there is no way I can get the tire to inflate using those rims?

Some rims work better than others, ones with a good bead shelf tend to work much better than "U" shaped rim cavities.

Also your success rate tends to increase with the use of Tubeless or Tubeless Ready tires over standard tires.

Inherent in the phrase "Getto" is that it will not always work. I have made it work and I have had tires blow off the rims with a deafening boom spraying sealant all over my garage. I've also burped the front tire on the trail which caused a crash and I was unable to get the tire re-seated with a mini-pump (best to carry a CO2 cannisters for this). I'm getting to old for the risk now so I use actual tubeless ready rims and tires that inflate with a floor pump these days.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I run ghetto tubeless, took me ages to get them to seat the first time (Minion EXO on MTX33). As far as I can tell the more airflow you can get the better for the initial inflation.
If you're using schrader make sure you take out the valve core. I drove around to a couple of gas stations before I found one with good airflow; if you have a small compressor that might be the problem?
While you inflate it try pressing the tread of the tyre down into the rim at the spot where it's leaking (to push the bead out).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts