Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am planning on switching all my rigs over to tubless this season, so for my freeride and dowhill bikes i'm planning on doing it ghetto style. At lunch today i setup the tires on my freeride rig, 2.5 mobster front and 2.35 kujo dh in the back, both on old D321 rims. I had to use a compressor to air them tires the first time, but after that the floor pump did just fine and after adding some stans they've been holding at 50psi since lunch. So stoked...

·
Registered
752 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
Well, I am planning on switching all my rigs over to tubless this season, so for my freeride and dowhill bikes i'm planning on doing it ghetto style. At lunch today i setup the tires on my freeride rig, 2.5 mobster front and 2.35 kujo dh in the back, both on old D321 rims. I had to use a compressor to air them tires the first time, but after that the floor pump did just fine and after adding some stans they've been holding at 50psi since lunch. So stoked...
I have set my DH rig up with ghetto tubeless. I use Maxxis tires as well. They were difficult to air up the first time, even with a compressor but eventually they took. I have raced once on them and have ridden some really rocky trails so far and they have performed great. I am considering converting my trailbike too.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zedro said:
cool, but make sure you ride them right away, or they may be flat the next day with goop all over the place
So what's the magic with riding them right away? BTW, I rode them around town for a bit. No actual offroad riding as we're still waiting for the 46 feet of snow we got this season to melt.

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
im sitting here converting two bikes. done this a million times but i just figured out i bought 26" tubes instead of 20". guess i had my brain turned off while i was there. dumbass.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
SMT said:
Ust Rims Are So Much Better
yeh but whos got the money for new rims, the re-building of the wheels, the new tyres and the goop lying around unless your getting a new bike...

and you ride them afterward, to evenly coat the inside of the tyre...

ghetto's the way to go...;)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
So what's the magic with riding them right away? BTW, I rode them around town for a bit. No actual offroad riding as we're still waiting for the 46 feet of snow we got this season to melt.
it settles the bead in for a proper seal

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
how ?

how did u do it? cut there air intake off the tube and super glued it from the inside n then got rim tape and filled then put stans in? i was thinking of tubless so if i get a flat i can always throw in a tube or what not.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
NRTH SHORE said:
how did u do it? cut there air intake off the tube and super glued it from the inside n then got rim tape and filled then put stans in? i was thinking of tubless so if i get a flat i can always throw in a tube or what not.
theres a few good 'how to' threads...if you press the search button (i'm pretty sure you've asked before too).

the short story is no gluing, you are splitting a tube down the outside middle, and folding it around the rim so the inner tube is sandwiched by the rim and tire. Its the exact same thing a Stan strips, you are simply making them from inner tubes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
ive only

zedro said:
theres a few good 'how to' threads...if you press the search button (i'm pretty sure you've asked before too).

the short story is no gluing, you are splitting a tube down the outside middle, and folding it around the rim so the inner tube is sandwiched by the rim and tire. Its the exact same thing a Stan strips, you are simply making them from inner tubes.
at the shop i help out with repairs n such ive only seen the UST rims. The only getto rims ive seen had the tube stem cut and super glued to the rim. then they had a layer of duct tape all around the inside to seal the nipples with a hole cut to let the air in then it was filled with that stans mess. i hated having to put a new tire on that it was gwad awfull. i told buddy next time he wanted a new tire to take the old one off first n clean up the rim at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.