Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Purgatory Control "2Bliss" 29 X 2.2 to mount tubeless on DT Swiss X470 rims. I plan on using Gorilla Tape and Stans. I have three questions.

1. Will it help the tire to seat on the rim if I install it with a tube first?
  2. Any problem if I actually ride on it with the tube in?
  3. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to leaving the rim tape in place?

Thanks for any help.
;)

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
1. With some tires, it might. But since your tire is already 2Bliss model...
2. No but that defeats the purpose of getting a tubeless ready tire
3. Adds weight?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please clarify

1. It depends on the tire and rim. Maybe. Try without first though.
2. No
3. One advantage of the rim tape is that the tire will hold air. :arf:
Thanks for your reply.

How does the rim tape help the tire to hold air? I thought that was the purpose of the gorilla tape sealing the spoke holes.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,311 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

How does the rim tape help the tire to hold air? I thought that was the purpose of the gorilla tape sealing the spoke holes.
woops... caught sleeping. somehow missed the gorilla tape part. :D

since you are using gorilla tape, the existing rim tape won't serve any purpose. i'd remove it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done. Got everything looking good except I'll need to get a shrader presta valve adapter to use my neighbors compression. My floor pump doesn't seem to be enough to get my tire to seal.

·
scared to post
106 Posts
Done. Got everything looking good except I'll need to get a shrader presta valve adapter to use my neighbors compression. My floor pump doesn't seem to be enough to get my tire to seal.
get a CO2 inflator, you will need it on the trails if you have to re-seal your tire on the trail:thumbsup:

·
transmitter~receiver
9,311 Posts
Try taking out your valve core. It makes a huge difference. Only use CO2 in emergencies. It negatively affects the sealant by changing the pH (CO2 makes an acid when it dissolves in water).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just did my first tubeless conversion today - used the tape method for the reasons you hinted at - its easier to put a tube in if you get a flat on the trail and is easier to re-mount than a cut tube.

Here are some tips that might help:

- use valves with removable core (I used Stans), which makes it easier to add (and top up) sealant
- after applying tape, pop a tube in the tyre and inflate to 40 psi and leave there for some time (overnight is often suggested)
- remove tube while leaving one side of the tire bead seated on rim (if possible) and install valves
- do a trial inflation without Stans/Goo before
- use plenty of soap/detergent suds around the bead (I tried without first time and it failed)
- watch the Stans video - it has some good tips in there too

·
SPECIALizED
519 Posts
If you're finding it hard to seal then add another layer of Gorilla Tape. I have a set of DT 540s converted w/Gorilla Tape. One layer was a pain to seal. Two layers seal with a floor pump. BTW I've been running them this way for a couple years with no issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPSed, did you use a valve cut from an inner tube or buy a stans presta or other? Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How I Did Ghetto Tubeless with a Floor Pump

Thanks for all the tips. Here is what worked for me installing 2.2 Purgatory Control 29" on DT Swiss 470 rim.

1. Remove existing strip on rim.
  2. Wrap the rim with two layers of gorilla tape.
  3. Inflate the tire with a tube to get the tire bead on the rim.
  4. Take the tire off the rim on one side and remove the tube.
  5. Install a Stans removable core valve put the tire bead back inside the rim.
  6. Soap up the tire. (I followed Stans video for the following steps.)
  7. Remove the valve core and use a floor pump with a shrader valve to inflate the tire to see if it would hold air on the rim - it did, no problem.
  8. Took part of the tire off the rim so I could add sealant.
  9. Add Stans sealant as per Stans video
  10. Reinsert the valve core and pump up the tire to 40psi using my regular presta valve floor pump.
  11. Did the soap and shake thing per Stans video. Very few leaks - maybe none but did it anyway a few times just to make sure.
  12. Test rode the tire and no leaks!!!

I'm not sure the second layer of gorilla tape was needed. I'll see when I do my rear tire. The key seems to have been removing the valve core as far as using a floor pump. I had been trying with a valve from an inner tube and couldn't get it to inflate with a floor pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts