Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing some resort runs and suddenly the ghetto tubeless that i had setup completely blew out. I ran a few runs and suddenly on like the 4th run, it flatted. Almost like a pinchflat. however, it wasnt the walls of the tire getting pinched- i examined the tire. Its a mavic 325 rim with a 2.7 minion DHR. I went thru all the steps (20 inch innertube, cleaning it out, used stans notubes, using compressor to seal the bead, etc.) My buddy helped me with it and he is pretty experienced so i dont know y it failed. Anyone have any input? thanks!!! (and please omit from any wise-a$$ remarks such as "u shud just get tubeless specific rims and tires- that would solve the problem." I already kno this and i plan on doin it later on in the season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same thing happen earlier this season. From my experience, you need to check the psi before every ride. I weigh 225 w/o gear and run around 30 psi.

First thing to do is use a compressor to find the hole. Could be the tire (see more info below) or it could be a dented rim. If the rim is dented you may have some luck bending back with an adjustable wrench. Go slow with the bending as you don't want to crease the rim any more.

Anyway the last time this happened to me, the sidewall was cut. I used a patch kit on the inside while I waited for a new tire. If this was the back tire, you could do the same. If it was the front, swap it out to the rear if you decide to use a patch on the inside. Not sure bout u, but the last thing I want to experience is a stan's tire flatting and rolling off the rim @ speed.

Good Luck,
Chan

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I run ghetto tubeless as well, here is what I use and how I got it to work:

Rim Tape: Front with Electrical, Rear with Duct Tape
Rim Strips: 20" Bontager BMX Tubes
Sealant: A pretty good amount of Stans.
Tires: Minnion 2.5 60A DHF and DHR
Rims: Azonic Outlaw

I'm sure you know the process, but did you allow the sealant to settle along the beads when you were inflating them? You should place the wheel after you inflate it with Stans on a flat surface after you shake the wheel around, this will allow the liquid to seal up perfectly along the beads. Take it off, shake it up, and do the otherside next.

A good seal will hold air in for several days. It is normal to see some black goo drip off the tires overnight.

As for your problem, depending on what you ride don't run too low of tire pressure so you don't burp, or flat out explode. If I were you I would go through your process again and make sure that you let the sealant sit on the beads. Run a little higher tire pressure (37 PSI or more if you're riding rocky terrain) and make sure you let the tires sit at a high pressure overnight to seat the beads after you get it setup.

·
Registered
456 Posts
my getto tubless blew out on me when my bike was siting in my dorm room one night it was weard I had like 40psi in them then in the mornig my room mate was like "your bike got skeet all over the floor"

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KomodoRider said:
my getto tubless blew out on me when my bike was siting in my dorm room one night it was weard I had like 40psi in them then in the mornig my room mate was like "your bike got skeet all over the floor"
haha thats funny... but do u know why it happened?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Madman133 said:
hey was that you today on the rock garden on tnt up at keystone? I think you had like a green bike maybe I dont remember...
no it wasnt... man i wish it was tho. i still havent hit keystone this season- im in Colo spgs

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mrpercussive said:
A buddy of mine made a video on how to do it. We've tested it and they seem to hold air really well. No problems with it losing air at all and it held through some pretty agressive riding... Thought these vids might help...

ya i watched the vids and did them exactly like that.... :confused: so i dont know what im doin wrong!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.