Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my co-worker, Guitar Ted, built up his own little piece of 29er heaven over the course of the last 3 weeks using parts laying around the shop. I know he would want you all to see it, so here it is. I am not going to dwell on it too much. I will let him say a few words on behalf of this new bast*rd bike. :D

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Uh-huh, Yep! That's it!

Just a quick thanks to Jeff for his photo posting skilz! Okay, it's a CHEAP bike! I've got maybe $40.00 into this thing. Here is how you can experience a 29 inch wheeled bike "on the cheap".

1. Schwinn CrissCross frame. The model that is tig welded, and that came with that goofy Suntour chainstay mounted derailluer, Suntour "grip" shift, and "butterfly" bars. This frame WILL accept a Conti Vapor, or Scwalbe 1.8 wide tire with NO modifications! I opted for "das crimper" to get in my old Motoraptor.

2. Stock fork would not work. Had to look elsewhere, but found an old Cannondale 1" threaded fork off a T-2000 that accepted the Motoraptor- BARELY!- but it did !

3. My personal mods were to remove the Suntour rear chainstay mount der. in favor of a more traditional LX rear mech from my parts bin. Handlebars are flared out steel, YES STEEL, drop bars that I modded myself. Mounted some old Suntour BarCons for shifting duties. Used the stock stem, wheels, and seatpost, along with a Selle Bassano saddle from the parts bin. Brakes are stock Dia Compe cantis pulled by some NOS weinmann non aero levers that were lying around at the shop. Bar tape was some "take-off" Bontrager gel tape.

All in all a sucessful project. By the way, the frame is a 20" with a 24" top tube! These older Scwhinn CrissCross frmes have insanely long top tubes for their era. It rides fine, not like a Karate Monkey, but not bad. Got anyone that wants to try a 29 inch wheeled bike? Check out something like this. Should be able to scare one of these up cheap, as they made a boatload of 'em. Get your hands on one and you could just change out the fork and tires and be done with it. Just thought you all would like to see something done on the cheap that works. Enjoy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Just a quick thanks to Jeff for his photo posting skilz! Okay, it's a CHEAP bike! I've got maybe $40.00 into this thing. Here is how you can experience a 29 inch wheeled bike "on the cheap".
All in all a sucessful project. By the way, the frame is a 20" with a 24" top tube! These older Scwhinn CrissCross frmes have insanely long top tubes for their era. It rides fine, not like a Karate Monkey, but not bad. Got anyone that wants to try a 29 inch wheeled bike? Check out something like this. Should be able to scare one of these up cheap, as they made a boatload of 'em. Get your hands on one and you could just change out the fork and tires and be done with it. Just thought you all would like to see something done on the cheap that works. Enjoy!
I for one must say that is an impressive build up for the budget used! Might just try that at home and build something up for one of the kids. Thanks for the idea and nice job for cheap.

Steve
2002 Supercal29

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Crimpin' and a bendin'

Das crimper and the "modified" (STEEL) road bars is a nice touch to the custom ride. And 40 bucks? That is a fine piece of expression there, no doubt :) We've all had ideas ("maybe I can put all of this crap together and make a whole 'nother bike!") but it's cool to see somebody actually execute.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.