Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I think they look funny too. I put these Ergon grips on last night after a painful ride on my ODI Ruffians. I'm an Oury guy, but I wore mine out last week. The Ruffs - a remnant from my short stint with a shock - were sitting around, so I threw them on. Ouch! They should have spelled it "Roughian"!

After the ride, I stopped by an LBS to see if they had any Ourys. Nope, but these ugly things called out. Dividend screaming out from my wallet, I decided to take the plunge. Besides, this shop would be cool if I decided to return them if I didn't like it.

I rode around the streets and singletrack around my 'hood last night, then tooled around again this morning. They feel suprisingly good. I'll thrash 'em a little more and decide if I'll keep them.

Anyone else using/used them?

Attachments

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Penalty flag!

Hey, those are like a 100 gram weight penalty!

Go hammer em on some roots and rocks for a couple of hours and report back please. I've got some wrist issues that have emerged lately and having my bike look a little dorkier is no major malfunction to me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
reminds me of

the Oakley BMX grips from the late 70's that had a huge pad for your palm. they seemed to have been designed from ski pole grips.

you youngsters never had the pleasure of using them.

·
The name's Norm...
152 Posts
Hmmmm....

Rocket Reducer No. 62 said:
Oakley 3's!
Ribbed for YOUR pleasure!! :D

·
Wandering not Lost
632 Posts
Oakley 3's!
Oakley 3's....the dissappointing follow up to the greatest grip ever...Oakley 2's....

wow those were the days of ..." I bet I can jump more shoes than you can"

thanks drevil for the harken back

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I know some riders that can hardly go without them anymore. Who ever said let alone proved that cilindrical is the best way to make a handle to be handled by a human hand?
Another one, why one thickness of each grip only, when hand size varies so much? In tennis there's like 5 or 6 different grip sizes. Over a century of cycling, and we're still on the same bar thickness and one main grip thickness, while humans have grown considerably over time, and our riding has changed.
My Salsa ODI's are pretty uncomfortable, but they're on a 4-cross bike I've never done a ride on that mattered longer that lasted than 1 minute.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BThor said:
Oakley 3's....the dissappointing follow up to the greatest grip ever...Oakley 2's....

The 2's did indeed rock. We used to shave the little round things off so they'd stick to our JT gloves better...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Dear Dr. Evil

Normally I would call you a big pu$$ for riding those...things; but seeing as how you thoroughly whipped my butt last weekend, I say: give 'em a try. But don't say I didn't warn you!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The 2's did indeed rock. We used to shave the little round things off so they'd stick to our JT gloves better...
The "2"s were really soft though the best I remember. We used to put nickels in ours before we put them on our handlebars so they wouldn't wear out so quickly from us laying our bikes down all the time. If you didn't, the handlebar ends would wear through before the end of the Summer.

Ah, memories.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
BThor said:

I've ALWAYS been an Oury guy, back to the first days they had with the throttle twisting and all. Back then, We used two sets of MX grips to complete one set of BMX grips...earlier than they began selling them like that. I remember using lots of different grips and other than the Oury's, I found A'me and Oakley 3 grips to be the most comfy...I did not care for the Oakley 2's. I've often wondered what it would be like to ride with Oakley 3's again, but am not likely going to find out at the $35 going rate for them. Wow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.