Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome and Congrats! What did you decide on for your build?

Since you’re coming from a hardtail, you’ll love the trail mode. It felt a lot like the pedalhead to me in trail mode but with a bit of cushion.

Gravity mode will feel really strange because for 140mm travel, it feels pretty bottomless. I haven’t been able to configure my gravity mode to where I’m happy with it, but that’s the next experiment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd give Sram a try. I've had Shimano drivetrains for most of the bikes I've owned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
As an FYI, I received this message from GG yesterday after emailing for a status on the Shredd Dog I ordered on June 16

Everyone at Guerrilla Gravity is working really hard to get your new ride to you as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we ran into a setback. The GG fulfillment team is currently self-quarantining after a member's positive COVID test. The rest of the team has all since been tested with the aim to return next week once results are received.
That’s a bummer. I hope they have a speedy recovery and no one else gets it. Stupid COVID ruins everything.

As far as shipping times.....the whole industry is behind....be patient.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Gravity mode will feel really strange because for 140mm travel, it feels pretty bottomless. I haven’t been able to configure my gravity mode to where I’m happy with it, but that’s the next experiment.
I feel the same. Every time I have tried it in gravity mode it was way to plush. I have only tried it on my everyday trails, I have not been to a bike park or place where I could really test out “gravity” mode. For my everyday trails there was way to much movement in the suspension and it took away from the playfulness and pedaling efficiency.

I actually tried it one day and the only way it felt good was with the climb switch on.

I would like to experiment with it to, but 130mm trail mode is where the fun is at.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Awesome and Congrats! What did you decide on for your build?

Since you’re coming from a hardtail, you’ll love the trail mode. It felt a lot like the pedalhead to me in trail mode but with a bit of cushion.

This ^, I can't get the Gravity mode to feel right, too boggy or too firm, so I'm using Trail mode and it's great.

I found the same thing with my Megatrail, the Gravity mode was not all that usable, so I stayed in Trail mode.

Fortunately, 130mm on the Shred rides great and really makes the bike capable of much more than a typical short travel bike.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I'd give Sram a try. I've had Shimano drivetrains for most of the bikes I've owned.
I have a very similar build. I don’t remember if Codes were available when I spec’d mine out? The only thing that I wish they would change is putting a 200mm front rotor on the builds. 180/180 just is not enough for this bike. I put a 200mm on very shortly after I got it. Everyone has different thoughts about brakes.....but this bike should have 200mm front rotor! I know you can call them up and get it the way you want.....but cmon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s a bummer. I hope they have a speedy recovery and no one else gets it. Stupid COVID ruins everything.

As far as shipping times.....the whole industry is behind....be patient.

Yea this Covid thing sucks. Told them that their health is what matters and the bike thing is less important. Not saying I do not want my new bike sooner than later though.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Yea this Covid thing sucks. Told them that their health is what matters and the bike thing is less important. Not saying I do not want my new bike sooner than later though.
That's the problem with COVID. It doesn't care about you getting your bike--it's mean and nasty and thoughtless.

Healing vibes to all at Shredquarters, and I hope everyone here is being safe too.

As a BAMF, I'll try to be around to answer questions when I can. Hit me up if you need. Or if you need some weird configuration question, ask Nurse Ben ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
This:
As a BAMF, I'll try to be around to answer questions when I can. Hit me up if you need. Or if you need some weird configuration question, ask Nurse Ben ;)
Not to discount anyone else on this board, but the consistently insightful input and experience that Stripes, Nurse Ben and Vikb post here make being a GG bike owner that much better and totally influenced my back-and-forth decision to ultimately purchase one. The tuneability is incredible and its really nice to have input from folks who have the time and energy to try out all of the possible configurations. I couldn't be happier with my Revved Smash, and it was absolutely worth the wait when I ordered. Obviously shipping times ebb and flow these days, but you won't regret the wait when it finally does arrive.

Hope the folks at GG are staying safe and/or recovering quickly.

·
Registered
863 Posts
As an FYI, I received this message from GG yesterday after emailing for a status on the Shredd Dog I ordered on June 16

Everyone at Guerrilla Gravity is working really hard to get your new ride to you as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we ran into a setback. The GG fulfillment team is currently self-quarantining after a member's positive COVID test. The rest of the team has all since been tested with the aim to return next week once results are received.
****, feel bad now. I just emailed them half an hour ago pestering them about my frame, because I got an email a week ago saying it was back from powder coat shop and should be assembled in a week. I hope the rest of the team is OK. My new bike lust is a lot less important than their health.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
This:

Not to discount anyone else on this board, but the consistently insightful input and experience that Stripes, Nurse Ben and Vikb post here make being a GG bike owner that much better and totally influenced my back-and-forth decision to ultimately purchase one. The tuneability is incredible and its really nice to have input from folks who have the time and energy to try out all of the possible configurations. I couldn't be happier with my Revved Smash, and it was absolutely worth the wait when I ordered. Obviously shipping times ebb and flow these days, but you won't regret the wait when it finally does arrive.

Hope the folks at GG are staying safe and/or recovering quickly.
Thanks--I think we do this for our love the bikes more than anything. It's been one crazy year for everyone, and if I can help the community, I will. The fact that we're lucky enough to play on bikes helps our mental state, so if I can help in any way while the good folks at Shredquarters deal with the load of orders and everything else going on over there, I'll be happy to help out when I can.

The bikes definitely can have their share of analysis paralysis, but for those of us who like to tinker, it makes life really good to have one or two of these frames around.

I've shared this thread with Shredquarters, because everyone here is being caring and human, and it's definitely appreciated in these weird times.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I found the same thing with my Megatrail, the Gravity mode was not all that usable, so I stayed in Trail mode.
Just for some perspective, I run my Megatrail in trail mode most of the time. However, we have some seriously steep and rooty trails here, a 3-mile descent will leave you sore for days, and for those trails gravity mode really helps a lot. It's worth it to make the switch at the top of the climb up the mountain.

I think we have some of the best trail builders in the country.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hope this means that everyone at GG is doing well and healthy.

Congratulations, I know how stoked I was when I got that email in June. It hasn’t worn off either - these bikes are rad. Have fun building and even more fun riding.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Just for some perspective, I run my Megatrail in trail mode most of the time. However, we have some seriously steep and rooty trails here, a 3-mile descent will leave you sore for days, and for those trails gravity mode really helps a lot. It's worth it to make the switch at the top of the climb up the mountain.

I think we have some of the best trail builders in the country.
What you said is spot on. I run my Megatrail in trail mode for everything unless I take it to the bike park, then gravity mode is where it's at. I don't like the feel of the geo for it that way, and I prefer it in trail mode both up and down otherwise.

On the Shred Dogg, I don't really like it in trail mode. The rear feels like it's got a mind of its own and tends to kick around, so I'm trying it now with a tuned shock optimized for it in gravity mode (ohlins).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
On the Shred Dogg, I don't really like it in trail mode. The rear feels like it's got a mind of its own and tends to kick around, so I'm trying it now with a tuned shock optimized for it in gravity mode (ohlins).
I only run my Shred Dogg in trail mode. When I bought the bike it came with the RS Deluxe and the rear did exactly as you said...kick around. To me it was also very harsh and you felt everything on the trail.

I took a chance on the CC DB air IL despite reservations with the reliability. It took me a long time with adjustments with not only the 4 way settings, but with volume spacers. I now have the Shred Dogg dialed in for trail mode. If I try and use gravity mode the way I have it tuned it’s un-pedal-able, mushy, sloppy mess. I actually had to run it in climb mode to make it work.

This tells me that the Shred Dogg in trail mode is set up to be firm in its initial travel(keeps it poppy), and progressive in the rest of the travel.

I used the CC 4 way to soften up that initial travel so it’s now plush in that first part, but still is poppy. The end stroke still ramps up and I rarely use full travel.

If you don’t put the time in or frustrate easily HSC/LSC HSR/LSR shocks can be a deep rabbit hole. If you like to tinker you can get the suspension to work exactly as you want.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I only run my Shred Dogg in trail mode. When I bought the bike it came with the RS Deluxe and the rear did exactly as you said...kick around. To me it was also very harsh and you felt everything on the trail.

I took a chance on the CC DB air IL despite reservations with the reliability. It took me a long time with adjustments with not only the 4 way settings, but with volume spacers. I now have the Shred Dogg dialed in for trail mode. If I try and use gravity mode the way I have it tuned it’s un-pedal-able, mushy, sloppy mess. I actually had to run it in climb mode to make it work.

This tells me that the Shred Dogg in trail mode is set up to be firm in its initial travel(keeps it poppy), and progressive in the rest of the travel.

I used the CC 4 way to soften up that initial travel so it’s now plush in that first part, but still is poppy. The end stroke still ramps up and I rarely use full travel.

If you don’t put the time in or frustrate easily HSC/LSC HSR/LSR shocks can be a deep rabbit hole. If you like to tinker you can get the suspension to work exactly as you want.
I mostly run my SD in trail mode too, I'm using the Topaz. For really rocky descents, gravity is feels way better to me though. Usually when I run gravity I forget (or am too lazy) to stop and switch the shock again and I'll end up climbing in gravity with the shock in the middle compression setting and it's actually a pretty excellent climber that way... It's not quite as efficient pedaling obviously, but the rear wheel gets out of the way better so all the little ledges and such are easier.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts

Thanks, I understand how suspension works.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the DHX2 working on it, but I couldn't get it to get in a sweet spot for me no matter how much I tried. The DPX2 performance is really limiting (no LSC or HSC adjustments), but the DPX2 factory (LSC/HSC/R) I have on my Megatrail works fine, just like the DHX2 does (all four adjustments).

I like the more balanced feel on the Shred Dogg with 150/140 vs 150/130. I also like that the gravity mode feels bottomless, and can handle anything you throw at it, so I'm giving this a shot. What I didn't like about gravity mode was how quickly it blew through midstroke, so I spoke to a custom tuner who is working with me on trying Ohlins to see how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally! Shred Dogg!

Super stoked to get my Shred Dogg yesterday. I have been getting it dialed in and bedding the brakes. All I have to say is WOW. I feel like a new level has been unlocked and I'm not worthy.
:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Super stoked to get my Shred Dogg yesterday. I have been getting it dialed in and bedding the brakes. All I have to say is WOW. I feel like a new level has been unlocked and I'm not worthy.
Looks awesome. Can’t wait to hear what you think of it.

Mines been neglected most of the summer because I’ve been on the megatrail but I’m looking forward to seeing how it’s gonna feel since it’s my winter ride and long XC ride that I’m looking forward to getting some time on it.

321 - 340 of 351 Posts