Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

301 - 320 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I’m 6’ and I ride the Shred, Mega, and a Pistola in sz 3 Short. I could ride in long, but the bike rides better in short, easier to get back, shorter wheelbase, more balanced front to rear. 35mm Stem, 210mm dropper, 760mm riser bars, seat centered or slightly forward.

If I was sizing a person who’s 5’7”, I’d tell them to get a Sz 2 long.

Sz 1= small
Sz 2 = medium
Sz 3 = large
Sz 4 = xlarge

Now if you’re really into a long reach ... get a bigger bike.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Hey all, new guy here. Iv'e been lurking for awhile trying to decide what my next bike is. I'm hard to fit at 5'9" with a 28.5" inch inseam and shorter arms. All torso. When I build up a Shredd Dogg it says size 3, but I'm guessing i'd be happier on a size 2. Can anyone measure the actual standover of a size 2 and 3? It would be greatly appreciated. Ride on.
I can get my measured tomorrow. So you know this will include 2.5 27.5” tires and pretty wide rims (M542). It will also include a 150mm Fox 36 and running a tall cup.

With your height, I would also think size 3, but your inseam making me think a size 2 long with a 50mm stem might make you happier.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Hey all, new guy here. Iv'e been lurking for awhile trying to decide what my next bike is. I'm hard to fit at 5'9" with a 28.5" inch inseam and shorter arms. All torso. When I build up a Shredd Dogg it says size 3, but I'm guessing i'd be happier on a size 2. Can anyone measure the actual standover of a size 2 and 3? It would be greatly appreciated. Ride on.
Actually do you want measurements of both the size 2 and size 3? My husband also has a shred dogg.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Stripes, both would be awesome. Thanks.
Size 3, M542 rims with 2.6 DHF front and aggressor 2.5 rear. Just under 29”. I’ll get you the size 2 tonight, provided it’s done by then.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Stripes, both would be awesome. Thanks.
If you go to the GG geo calculator you will see there is no difference in stand over height between size 2 and 3. The geo calculator will give you all your measurements, just plug in height and riding style.

Size 2 on left size 3 on right

sizeCapture.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
The standovers are very similar, even between the Sz 3 and sz 4, the real difference is in reach. You can only make the reach so short.

The thing about reach and bike sizing is that over the past couple years, bikes have gotten really long but people haven't changed, so too long is a thing.

I'm 6', I sized in between the short and long settings for a size 3 based on riding style. I definitely ride aggressive, but I ride in the short setting because I like a more compact fit.

At no time would I say that the size 3 short feels too short, I mean it's still 483mm, that's still pretty dang long unless you ride a Pole!

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
If you go to the GG geo calculator you will see there is no difference in stand over height between size 2 and 3. The geo calculator will give you all your measurements, just plug in height and riding style.

Size 2 on left size 3 on right

View attachment 1342205
That doesn't surprise me. My size 2 Megatrail looks like it has the same standover as my husband's size 3 Dogg. I haven't measured my Megatrail because I've been busy messing with handlebars this week. *SIGH*

So hopefully I'll have my Dogg tonight, because the wheels/tires are pretty equal, and I'l be able to give him the measurements.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Where do you live?

Throwing a leg over a bike would be ideal.

Thanks for all the replies on my question. It's nice to have an active forum who's willing to help out.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
I follow the Dougal School of suspension set up, get one end set up well, then set the other end up so it “matches” the feel, like an equilibrium.

On the DPX2, I run a lot of LSC, four clicks from closed, HSC in full open for descending and middle for climbing, rebound is set in the midpoint just enough to keep it from bouncing.

It’s a pretty simple shock, maybe too simple but with a little tweaking it can be made to ride well.

Try using more compression damping and less air pressure, the extra damping slows the action, prevents over compression on quicker hits, keeps it plush without excessive bottom out. I don’t mess with volume spacers.

How hard was it to find a comfortable setting with a DPX2? A friend loaned me theirs to use while I’m waiting on a coil shock.

I went through the instructions fox has on their website, which is stupid-easy, but the GGs have such a unique ride that it’s worth asking if you got it working right and what you did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went through this on Tuesday. Visited the shop in Denver.
Tested a Size 2, (5'8-5'9,on a good day, 30" inseam). Was recommended the Size 2 while there.
Tested a size 2 SD in the parking lot and felt a bit short in the saddle. Talked with a few of the techs similar size as I am, everyone agreed that a Size 3 would be to big.
They switched out the stem to a larger one, and the bike felt perfect.
Now on for the wait.
Not sure if this helps at all, just my experience.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
It’s worth asking GG if there’s an owner out that way, any a Revved model bike would help you with sizing.

I'm in northern Illinois. 40 minutes west of Chicago. I figured that there wouldn't be anyone with a GG bike near me.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Thanks for all the replies on my question. It's nice to have an active forum who's willing to help out.
NWK56: I measured my Dogg (size 2) in gravity mode, and that seems to bring down the standover about 2"ish. In trail mode, it's the same.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
I follow the Dougal School of suspension set up, get one end set up well, then set the other end up so it “matches” the feel, like an equilibrium.

On the DPX2, I run a lot of LSC, four clicks from closed, HSC in full open for descending and middle for climbing, rebound is set in the midpoint just enough to keep it from bouncing.

It’s a pretty simple shock, maybe too simple but with a little tweaking it can be made to ride well.

Try using more compression damping and less air pressure, the extra damping slows the action, prevents over compression on quicker hits, keeps it plush without excessive bottom out. I don’t mess with volume spacers.
Thanks. I talked to another BAMF, and he said to start at body weight + 25 psi. That seems to be the magic number for the Pistola and the Megatrail, and I'll start the same on the Dogg.

But.. I think you're right on the LSC.. I think it does need more from closed than less. I originally tried running it 3 clicks from open and it still felt a big bouncy. Maybe that's enough to make the rebound good right in the middle.. Thanks Ben, I'll give that a shot.

I ran the DPX2 (loaner) while Push was retuning my 11-6, and it's wasn't horrible, but I found the DPX2 feels better on shorter travel bikes vs the bigger ones. I still prefer coil for the bigger ones.

Did you try it in both gravity and trail mode? Most folks I talked to tend to run the Dogg strictly in trail mode, but I'd like to see if playing with it a bit makes it feel better in one mode vs the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And the wait begins. Just ordered a Shred Dogg. Thanks to those who helped with the standover measurements. I have been pouring over geometry numbers for months and kept coming back to the Shred Dogg. This will be my first full suspension, first carbon, and first bike with a dropper post. After over 30 years on hardtails, I'm excited. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
And the wait begins. Just ordered a Shred Dogg. Thanks to those who helped with the standover measurements. I have been pouring over geometry numbers for months and kept coming back to the Shred Dogg. This will be my first full suspension, first carbon, and first bike with a dropper post. After over 30 years on hardtails, I'm excited. :thumbsup:
Congrats, such a fun bike! Mine still makes me smile every time I take it out.

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Awesome and Congrats! What did you decide on for your build?

Since you’re coming from a hardtail, you’ll love the trail mode. It felt a lot like the pedalhead to me in trail mode but with a bit of cushion.

Gravity mode will feel really strange because for 140mm travel, it feels pretty bottomless. I haven’t been able to configure my gravity mode to where I’m happy with it, but that’s the next experiment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As an FYI, I received this message from GG yesterday after emailing for a status on the Shredd Dog I ordered on June 16

Everyone at Guerrilla Gravity is working really hard to get your new ride to you as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we ran into a setback. The GG fulfillment team is currently self-quarantining after a member's positive COVID test. The rest of the team has all since been tested with the aim to return next week once results are received.

301 - 320 of 351 Posts