Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the show begin!

It's midnight in the land of gambling, so as much as I'd love to go ride now, I gotta work in the morning, so here she is in her blacked out smokiness:

Tire Wheel Spoke Rim Tread

I have a temp fork installed, Pike 29/27+, 140mm/42mm, same A-C as a 160mm 27.5 fork, this fork combined with the tall cup really slacks it out. I'm thinking Fox 36 150mm with the tall cup or or 160mm with the shorter cup. I was supposed to get the short cup, but they forgot ?

A couple PITAs when building: install drivetrain before B.B./cranks, don't cut the dropper housing too short (doh!), and wrap that chainstay like a champ. I'm not a huge fan of the cable cover, it's doable if you set the plate loosely, then stuff the cables, it's not the most stout bit if trim, but it works.

Hans Dampf 2.8 fits fine.

Seems a tad shorter reach than my Xmedium Smash, overall much more compact, better standover too.

First ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
NICE! Congrats on the build. Stoked to hear how it rides. I'm a '18 Shred Dogg and am looking to do a '19TP and also get the SD chainstays for 27.5 days! Ride report is in order after you get out :)

·
always licking the glass
3,973 Posts
Congrats!!

I’m looking forward to hearing your ride reports :). I’m going to save up to have both the megatrail and Dogg stay kits and shocks, and the new Dogg sounds a bit more of a redesign than the megatrail.

·
Premium Member
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL figured I would get a text from you while you were building it up. We should go shred this weekend, weather is supposed to be nasty next couple of days.
To be fair, I did text you right before I posted pics to the forum ;)

For sure I'm riding all weekend, riding tonight after I redo the dropper; stoopid cable management system only allows one side runs, so the dropper cable rubs the headtube. I tried to cut it short enough to avoid rub, forgetting to set seat height first. The new SD has a much lower ST; had it slammed of course, so once I pulled the post out of the frame two inches I was doomed :(

I did take a brief spin this morning and it feels great, not that unlike my Smash with the same wheels, though it does feel more compact.

I'm curious to see if the ride quality is different from the Smash.

Ride tonight!!

·
Premium Member
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So tough question:

For years I rode a Pike, Mastodon, even a Revelation with little complaint. Then one day "someone" suggests that a big guy (200#) on a big bike, should be riding a more burly fork, so I got a Lyric when I built the Smash.

I ride fast and hard, but I'm an old guy, I do not ride park, mostly I do a ton of tech climbing, then ride down though it fast, love chundery stuff, biggest drops 4', think enduro light with a fair bit of climbing.

Granted, I like the Lyric and at times it does seem to ride better than the Pike; less stiction?? That said, I would happily ride a trail fork like the Pike or 34 if it was truly enough fork for me. I will need a new fork to replace my Lyric and Pike 29/27+ forks, thinking about a Fox 34 or 36 Performance Elite to match the shock on my new SD.

So, inquiring minds want to know: Do I really need a 36 or is a 34 okay? Bailey said a 34 was fine, reviewers found the Fox 34 to be stiffer than a Pike; not sure if it's true. I'm thinking 150-160mm.

·
Premium Member
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rode a little more today, figured out the difference in shock placement, upper position is shorter travel and rides like the crush mode, lower position is longer travel and rides like the plush mode.

So I moved the shock to the low position, plush mode, dropped the bars another 10mm, reduced air pressure in shock and fork, overall feel improved dramatically, though it still feels wonky with the long A-C and tall cup.

After the ride I checked the mail and my low cup had arrived, so I installed it and now the Shred Dogg feels much more lively, similar to the way the Smash felt as a 27+, though it is a little shorter in the seat to bar distance (TT).

The Fox 36 160mm/44mm arrives Tuesday, that should bring the bike up to its potential.

Rode with Greg today, he had his Revved Smash, such nice looking bikes, GG did a good job 👍

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Yeah I have to agree that flipping the chip/position on the shock made a huge difference in how the bike felt. Probably the upper mode is meant more for buff singletrack slaying vs. the type of stuff that we normally ride, especially behind your place Ben. Crazy that the lower cup was there the entire time, but I was completely unaware of the option for a "tall cup" vs. "short cup" for the lower area. Something they only offer on the SD maybe?

·
Your bike sucks
2,485 Posts
Pretty sure you can request a the lower cup you want with any rev frame. I'm planning on getting the short cup for my MegaTrail since I'm running 180mm fork and want to keep that front from going sky high. We'll see tho.

The standard recommended cup differs depending on what frame/wheelsize you are getting tho.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
So tough question:

For years I rode a Pike, Mastodon, even a Revelation with little complaint. Then one day "someone" suggests that a big guy (200#) on a big bike, should be riding a more burly fork, so I got a Lyric when I built the Smash.

I ride fast and hard, but I'm an old guy, I do not ride park, mostly I do a ton of tech climbing, then ride down though it fast, love chundery stuff, biggest drops 4', think enduro light with a fair bit of climbing.

Granted, I like the Lyric and at times it does seem to ride better than the Pike; less stiction?? That said, I would happily ride a trail fork like the Pike or 34 if it was truly enough fork for me. I will need a new fork to replace my Lyric and Pike 29/27+ forks, thinking about a Fox 34 or 36 Performance Elite to match the shock on my new SD.

So, inquiring minds want to know: Do I really need a 36 or is a 34 okay? Bailey said a 34 was fine, reviewers found the Fox 34 to be stiffer than a Pike; not sure if it's true. I'm thinking 150-160mm.
I'm running a Fox 34 @ 150mm on a + bike. Have a Pike on another and a Lyric on the new + bike. I love the way the Fox 34 rides, but aint no way its as stiff as the Pike or Lyric. Torsionally, its OK-ish, but flexes alot under braking. I've rode all three bikes with the exact same front wheel too, so the variability in flex was the fork itself. To me, being a big guy, for the trails I ride, its noticeable.

·
Premium Member
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, even the Pike is noticeable flexier than the Lyric.

I got a 36 on the way 👍

I'm running a Fox 34 @ 150mm on a + bike. Have a Pike on another and a Lyric on the new + bike. I love the way the Fox 34 rides, but aint no way its as stiff as the Pike or Lyric. Torsionally, its OK-ish, but flexes alot under braking. I've rode all three bikes with the exact same front wheel too, so the variability in flex was the fork itself. To me, being a big guy, for the trails I ride, its noticeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I put in my preorder and plan on going with the Shred Dogg with a somewhat custom build. Talking with them, I was told that they are finally starting production on the Size 2 this week, which is good because that is the size I am going to have to go with. (5’9” with a shorter inseam. Yeah, I am not tall.).

Anyways, for you guys that have been here on the GG forums for a while, they told me that they think they could have my bike to me by end June/first July. Is that at all realistic here or no? I normally wouldn’t care, but I have a trip at that time for mountain biking and I need a new bike to go with. Lol.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I found that moving the fork from a lyrik to a 36 made a huge difference in control and stiffness.
According to this testing - the Lyrik is the stiffest
https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/manitou-mezzer-1102541.html

Anyways, for you guys that have been here on the GG forums for a while, they told me that they think they could have my bike to me by end June/first July. Is that at all realistic here or no? I normally wouldn't care, but I have a trip at that time for mountain biking and I need a new bike to go with. Lol.
I found they are pretty reasonable with their timelines. The problem is any custom stuff you order might not show up in time and delay the entire bike. I ordered a DVO Topaz and at that time there was a shortage so my bike was "done" but not shipped. I asked them to replace it with a SD coil so it could be shipped out.

So, the more custom you make it, the more chances for delays.

·
Premium Member
10,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I put in my preorder and plan on going with the Shred Dogg with a somewhat custom build. Talking with them, I was told that they are finally starting production on the Size 2 this week, which is good because that is the size I am going to have to go with. (5'9" with a shorter inseam. Yeah, I am not tall.).

Anyways, for you guys that have been here on the GG forums for a while, they told me that they think they could have my bike to me by end June/first July. Is that at all realistic here or no? I normally wouldn't care, but I have a trip at that time for mountain biking and I need a new bike to go with. Lol.
Hmmm, well I think it's always good to use the past to predict the future.

I waited 11.5 weeks for my Size 3 frame set, no build, just the frame and shock. Shipped with the wrong head set cup, so add another week to correct that.

I was told 4-6 weeks, ordered a few weeks after the initial show and after they had started molding frames.

Granted the demand outstripped their capacity, they have since added staff, increased days of operation, and of course they have improved efficiency.

If you ordered today, complete, and you don't ask for any wierd stuff, I'd double their expected lag time and I'm sure you'll be safe. What did you order?

That said, I would not sell your existing sled until the bike shows.

Was it worth the wait?

Abso****inglutely!

·
always licking the glass
3,973 Posts
Hmmm, well I think it's always good to use the past to predict the future.

I waited 11.5 weeks for my Size 3 frame set, no build, just the frame and shock. Shipped with the wrong head set cup, so add another week to correct that.

I was told 4-6 weeks, ordered a few weeks after the initial show and after they had started molding frames.

Granted the demand outstripped their capacity, they have since added staff, increased days of operation, and of course they have improved efficiency.

If you ordered today, complete, and you don't ask for any wierd stuff, I'd double their expected lag time and I'm sure you'll be safe. What did you order?

That said, I would not sell your existing sled until the bike shows.

Was it worth the wait?

Abso****inglutely!
I agree with Ben. I'm expecting my new Shred Dogg in May, most likely the end of May. It's a size 2, frame with rear shock only. In the meantime, I'm riding my existing Shred Dogg/Megatrail, and making sure I have all the parts and pieces for the new build.

The delay did me good, because it allowed me to switch from a megatrail to a Shred Dogg without much hassle.

My aluminum frame is already spoken for-a friend of mine bought it, and I'm very fortunate they're being patient while I ride it. They're being really understanding about the new frames taking time to get out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice, I am planning on going with the Size 2 Shred Dogg as well. As to the details of the build, they have not been finalized yet. I just paid the preorder fee so far, then I guess when it is roughly 4 weeks out from building, they will contact me to hammer out the details. At least that is what I gather from the website.

As to the build I am thinking of doing, Cane Creek Helm fork with Fox DPX2 shock. Industry Nine stem and wheelset (probably going with custom gold color as I think black with gold is sick looking.). Will stick with the SRAM GX stuff as this will be good for my needs. SRAM RS brakes I think I will stick with as well.

I actually wonder if just getting the frame and sourcing the other parts on my own would be faster though now that I think about it...Hum. Never fully built up a bike on my own though.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
I actually wonder if just getting the frame and sourcing the other parts on my own would be faster though now that I think about it...Hum. Never fully built up a bike on my own though.
If you give GG your desired build list they'll let you know if any of the items you want are going to be a problem/delay to get. At that point you can either change your spec or source on your own depending what makes sense to you.

I'm happy building up my bikes and usually do so, but it was nice for a change to just pull my Smash out of the box and have it nearly ready to ride with next to no effort on my part.

1 - 20 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.