Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, you can do that for the fork. It won't be exactly the same, but it will be close. For example, a 2020 Fox 36 170 29 has an A:C measurement of 577, and the 27.5 version with the 14mm cup would be 559+14=573. So you'd be 4mm higher, just a smidge slacker for head & seat angles, probably about 0.2 degrees.

If you put a 29 or 27.5+ wheel in the fork while in MegaTrail setup, it will slack it out quite a bit because the wheel radius is much greater.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After talking to Matt & Marshall at GG, I realized that something about the way I did the CAD drawings to approximate the mullet geometries was incorrect (showing much too high BB, slacker ST & HT). I figured out a different way to approximate this using a standard geometry change calculation, and have since updated the sheet.

A MegaSmash (MegaTrail stays w/ 160mm 29er fork & 29er front wheel) will end up with geometry really close to a 170mm forked Gnarvana. Slightly lower and slacker in Gravity mode, slightly higher and steeper in Trail mode.

·
always licking the glass
2,515 Posts
Thanks for the second check. I figure the 27+ would only go on with the Gnar stays.
You can officially run up to 27.5+ a 2.8 tire on the megatrail. I can clear the 3.0 wrathchilds on mine.

·
always licking the glass
2,515 Posts
@Andeh i talked to Marshal at GG, and we were talking about the height difference in the lower headset cups. He measured an 11mm difference, which is lower than the 14 or 15mm cited. Not sure if this helps your spreadsheet.

This is an awesome resource! Thanks for putting it together.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That makes sense, the short cup does stick out a little bit. I could see 3mm height being accurate - I'll check next time I swap forks. It won't affect any of the stock geo or the ones where the fork gets lengthened/shortened, but it will have a very minor affect on the mullets.

I don't have a tall cup, so if someone could measure the actual height it protrudes from the frame, that'd be good to know. GG refers to it as 14mm in the spec sheets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
@Andeh I posted a link to your spread sheet in the FB group and someone asked if you could do the new Pistola in a 140/130 configuration?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dang, that was fast. Thank!!!

Ordered a new TP a couple weeks ago. I can’t wait to get it and start tinkering. I imagine I’ll be a ways out on the other seatstay kits. But I love looking at the spreadsheet and studying the possibilities.

·
always licking the glass
2,515 Posts
That makes sense, the short cup does stick out a little bit. I could see 3mm height being accurate - I'll check next time I swap forks. It won't affect any of the stock geo or the ones where the fork gets lengthened/shortened, but it will have a very minor affect on the mullets.

I don't have a tall cup, so if someone could measure the actual height it protrudes from the frame, that'd be good to know. GG refers to it as 14mm in the spec sheets.
@marshalolson can you provide the info?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dang, that was fast. Thank!!!

Ordered a new TP a couple weeks ago. I can’t wait to get it and start tinkering. I imagine I’ll be a ways out on the other seatstay kits. But I love looking at the spreadsheet and studying the possibilities.
Has GG confirmed the all carbon pistol will handle the longer stroke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

I think they mentioned it offhand on RideMonkey forums, also hinting that the new Smash might be able to run 62.5 long stroked. If someone's interested, I'm sure GG can confirm with a phone call.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Yes. I called and asked. He said they are just not offering it as an option on the site because of availability issues. It will become available again when parts are easier to get ahold of.

·
Registered
134 Posts

@Andeh - I was able to measure both cups, so if memory serves, and to compare apples to apples (outside dim’s, not how the bearing sits in the pocket), came up with 16mm of total stack on the tall cup and 5mm on the low cup, delivering an 11mm delta between the cups.

the bearing does sit a couple mm inside the cup pocket, and it looks similar between the cups, so the delta holds up.

I will double check these measurements and update this thread for posterity if above is off. The above measurements are all taken into account in the GG Geo tables as well, fwiw.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts