Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any glimmer of hope GG will be cranking out ebikes soon? Ebikes are now legal in Wyoming state parks and there is plenty of Moto single track trails in my area that would be a blast on a ebike. However, I am waiting a bit until the weight comes down on the bikes and the bugs get worked out with the motors. For example, the new stumpjumper is a pound lighter then the previous model, more power, longer range, ect. Won't be long before ebikes are 35 pounds.

·
Registered
14,884 Posts
Is there any glimmer of hope GG will be cranking out ebikes soon?
Soil Extreme sport Sand

Soon? No. They are going full on trying to bring out their existing human powered bikes with serious wait lists in all sizes.

Ever? Hard to say. They seem pretty focused on building mountain bikes. Personally I hope they stick with that market and eschew the motos. They are a small company and I don't want to see them spread their resources too thin by getting into products I'll never buy, but that's just my opinion.

They kept the carbon bikes secret so it's possible they have a 10,000W fire breathing GG Roost-o-Matic ready to drop next week. ;)

·
always licking the glass
4,024 Posts
You can easily maky an ebike 35 pounds. Just put a really small motor / battery on it and pedal with your legs.
There's a company that makes an e-motor for Megatrails. I ran across it a while ago, but I'm pretty sure they're not working with GG on it. I'm pretty sure when Matt designed the frames he didn't plan on putting motors on it. So if you do go that route, be aware of that.

I'd love to see if Vik has the crystal ball into the future and if GG is making the roost-o-matic. ;)

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
E-bikes are still a very contentious topic in lots of states due to their "branding" based on the states interpretation of "motorized vehicle". For instance, for NV State Parks they are still illegal as the current legislature sees them as a "motorized vehicle" regardless of whether they are full E or pedal assist.

While the technology and things still get hammered out and laws catch-up with how the different bikes are classified, we will see lots of companies slowly release and/or watching. This will be more on the major company side vs. smaller brands.

·
Premium Member
10,719 Posts
Not likely with a molded frame and very unlikely considering how GG evolved and how they and their consumers see the world ;)

There are plenty of good ebikes to choose from including bikes from Pivot, Fezzari, Commencal, YT, Devinci, Trek, Specialized, LaPierre, Lenz, Rocky Mountain, etc....

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Hmmm, that fact that they don't make e-bikes factored into my decision to buy a GG.
That is a huge factor in my bike choice process. I can't see myself supporting a company that make mountain mopeds.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ill say this about e-bikes: I was a complete hater UNTIL I demoed an Intense Tazer for a couple days in Bentonville, AR. All of the things I thought ebikes did ( ripping up trails, roosting corners etc.) was a non issue. The bike just made pedaling uphills fun and enjoyable, but I could hit the downs totally fresh. Very fun experience, and I will probably own one within the next year or two.... Cheers!

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Ill say this about e-bikes: I was a complete hater UNTIL I demoed an Intense Tazer for a couple days in Bentonville, AR. All of the things I thought ebikes did ( ripping up trails, roosting corners etc.) was a non issue. The bike just made pedaling uphills fun and enjoyable, but I could hit the downs totally fresh. Very fun experience, and I will probably own one within the next year or two.... Cheers!
Yup, takes the biking out of mountain biking.

·
Premium Member
10,719 Posts
Just like coasting down a mountains on a so called downhill bike. Yup, takes the biking out of mountain biking.
Nah, an ebike is different, my wife has a Pivot Shuttle and it is as unlike a DH bike as a DH bike is like a pony.

I'm not a hater by any means, but let's face it, not every bike needs to be powered and not every biker wants or needs a powered bike.

I really can't see any advantage to having GG build an ebike, it's really not something that fits wit their image... the reality is the cost of having to build a mold to accommodate the battery and motor is high. As a small company, there's really not much chance they'll invest in that technology.

If you want domestic and custom, consider contacting Devin at Lenzsport.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Wow, a couple people post that they don't want e-bikes and the proponents come out of the woodwork to defend them.

Newsflash, not everyone wants a motor on their bike.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Wow, a couple people post that they don't want e-bikes and the proponents come out of the woodwork to defend them.

Newsflash, not everyone wants a motor on their bike.
It's like this anywhere e-bikes are brought up. The largest defense is "ride one you will love it so much you will buy an ebike next."

I rode one. It was fine. Would have been better with a couple changes. Still weighed 50 pounds which was noticeable going down. Didn't win me over. And not what I am currently looking for in a bike.

I do agree that the normal arguments against them are pretty dumb (roosting etc. Except. For. The. Big. Elephant. In. The. Room. It has a motor, it's not a bike, it's a different category.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.