Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pedal the bike hard I get a clicking noise from the bottom bracket. For a few miles it only made the noise when I was standing up. Now it does it standing or sitting but only when I'm cranking hard. I have the Carver ebb installed. I took the bracket out and nothing was loose. Any ideas?

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
proskisd said:
When I pedal the bike hard I get a clicking noise from the bottom bracket. For a few miles it only made the noise when I was standing up. Now it does it standing or sitting but only when I'm cranking hard. I have the Carver ebb installed. I took the bracket out and nothing was loose. Any ideas?
My Mary had a similar noise that turned out to be the freehub pawls not engaging properly because they were dirty and getting rusted. What type of freehub is on your Rig and how is it sealed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is still the stock setup. It clicks at the same spot when I look at the cranks while peddling.

·
Expert Crasher
25 Posts
My rig does the same thing. My hub exploded. GF warrantied a new one. Still clicks. Haven't figured out if the clicking and exploding hub are related. Maybe it isn't clicking, then it could be ticking instead. Maybe a bomb?

I think my click is related to the eccentric or chain tension, but have continuously been messing with it to no avail.

My conclusion....bomb, or ebb's just suck. I hope someone finds a better answer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just go down the list and regrease and retighten all parts as neccessary until you resolve the noise. If it is still going on regrease and retighten all parts again. If still unresolved seek LBS support/ideas.
Good Luck.
I have had issues when I first got my rig in 2006/7. I am on my 3rd Rig r/t frame cracking. Now rocking ( or was rocking) the 2010 Rig. Had an ACL tear last week. Again good luck.

·
Soft AND Tender
143 Posts
As others have stated disassemble and regrease. What I thought was a click in the EBB area on my Rig turned out to be coming from the little derailleur hanger insert. I regreased and retorqued pedal threads, EBB, seatpost, headset and hanger area (where it mates with the frame) and have had no more clicking or creaking since.

One other thing I noticed on the 2009 Rig is that the seatpost sucks and clicks and creaks where it attaches to the seat (one bolt design). I swapped it for a Thompson and that area has been silent since.

·
MN/WI
238 Posts
I have a Rig and clean/grease the heck out of the BB. Put some electricians tape on the holes, too.

But another thing is to check your quick releases, especially for your front wheel. It's happened on my RB many times -- clicking noise from the front heard when out of the saddle only at a certain point in the pedal stroke. Loosen the quick release, rotate, tighten 'er back up and the noise is gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.