Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have a few rides on this bike and get a lot of rub when working the bike hard in tight spots. More on the drive side but I can make it rub on both.
I have a 21" frame and it is all stock except for a 21t cog. Is this wheel flex or frame or what? The tire has good clearance to start with.
I am 6'3" and 190#.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.
Tim

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, an 06 in medium. I tried different wheels in there and still had the same problem.
So it looks to me like it's the frame flexing.
Fisher know there's a problem with them and there "solution" is to run a narrower back tyre.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
timbone said:
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Tim
My thoughts are that those frames are very flexible. I also weight about 190 and can flex them like a wet noodle.

My suggestion is to buy a steel frame.

The chainstays are the main culprit. Aluminum is a more flexible metal than steel, so to stiffen up an aluminum frame, larger diameter tubes are used. This is easy to do with the top, down, seat and seatstays, but not so easy on the chainstays, because they have to fit between the chainring and rear tire. Notice how narrow the chainstays are next to the tire on the Rig. An aluminum tube can't be that narrow and maintain any sort of stiffness.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
I had a 2006 Rig and promptly wore the paint off the stays in a few rides. When I stood, I could feel the tire going bzzzt bzzt bzzzzt. Fisher specs it with a Bonty 2.2 tire that the frame can't handle. The Fisher solution was to give me ONE Nanoraptor and say "good luck". As you may have guessed, I no longer own a Fisher.

Then again, I picked up a new Niner One9 (first generation) and it also can't handle anything bigger than the Nano, so I'm SOL wherever I go. According to Niner, the later frames are built to handle fatter rubber. Wish they'd mentioned that on the website :(

A stiffer wheel will also help. I'm 225 and the stock wheels from the Rig are flexy.

·
Fossil
437 Posts
Cobia Rubs at Front Derailleur

My wife's GF Cobia was fine with the stock Bonty ACX tires but with slightly wider Rampages the tire will rub the front derailleur if you're really cranking on it. Front derailleur is Shimano Alivio stuff. Well, she couldn't make it rub but I could. So I got out my grinder and removed some extra metal at the offending spot. With a little extra clearance and some fine-tuning of the low side stop, it is fine.

Moral of the story - check the front derailleur too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mtmiller said:
My wife's GF Cobia was fine with the stock Bonty ACX tires but with slightly wider Rampages the tire will rub the front derailleur if you're really cranking on it. Front derailleur is Shimano Alivio stuff. Well, she couldn't make it rub but I could. So I got out my grinder and removed some extra metal at the offending spot. With a little extra clearance and some fine-tuning of the low side stop, it is fine.

Moral of the story - check the front derailleur too.
The Rig is a single speed,no derailers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info!
After frame flex was mentioned I looked closer and it appears it's a combination of both.
Lots of wheel flex with stock Mustang Bonti.
Spoke tension feels ok but I will have check it before replacing.
What makes a good stiff 29er wheel?

415m3: How did you get along with the Nanoraptor? (I will make a change here too)

Aside from the wheel rub I really like the ride and feel of this bike but the next one will be steel.
I looked hard at the Sir 9 and RL Flight but the Rig fit the budget and had some of the right components for me. My brother is thinking 29er now and I will push him toward Sir 9 if he is willing to spend the $$.

Tim

·
Registered
492 Posts
I thought this was something which Fisher recognised as a problem on the first run of 06 models, which they were to rectify and replace frames as the redesigned ones became available - the interim solution was to offer a narrower replacement tyre.

It really surprises me a company the size of Fisher can have so simple an oversight as this in their product development - do they not do any real world testing?

Sam

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
The Nano was OK, but has delicate sidewalls. I've cut several. As for Fisher stepping up with a new frame....NOPE. I was denied that by the LBS and the rep.

·
Fossil
437 Posts
Oh, yeah.

fastrance said:
The Rig is a single speed,no derailers.
Oh yeah... now I remember. Don't see many SSs. But anyway, I think the frames are similar; they have the same specs. I'm not sure what year wifey's Cobia is, but I think it's an '06 and tire clearance is not an issue at the frame with the Rampages. The Nevegals might be tight, but they are staying on my bike!

(BTW, wifey's Cobia is a medium frame...)

·
Registered
845 Posts
My Rig does the same thing and I'm about 230 lbs. I keep my rear wheel tensioned pretty tight and run a Maxxis Ignitor in the rear. Presently no tire rub since I made the switch. The side knobs on the stock Bonty's stick out a little further than the Maxxis. None the less, it's an obvious engineering blunder on Treks part and a disgrace that they haven't addressed this problem for 07. I guess they're just too big to care?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
timbone said:
What makes a good stiff 29er wheel?
Tim
Any one or a combination of these things will make for a stiffer wheel....

36 holes
14 gauge spokes
non-disk
beefier rims (rhyno lite, chris holm, etc)

My wheels only have two of those (14 gauge, rhyno) and they are plenty stiff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think it is wheel flex. Or even frame flex.
I just think the der is too close to the tire in the first place.
I had some rub with the stock set up.
Got some really stiff wheels on and that made the problem even worse.
The rim was wider and then even the stock tire rubbed the der.
I put some Kenda Nevagals on and had to remove the der all together.
I am going to make a SS out of it.
I like the bike otherwise.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
speeder3800 said:
I don't think it is wheel flex. Or even frame flex.
I just think the der is too close to the tire in the first place.
I had some rub with the stock set up.
Got some really stiff wheels on and that made the problem even worse.
The rim was wider and then even the stock tire rubbed the der.
I put some Kenda Nevagals on and had to remove the der all together.
I am going to make a SS out of it.
I like the bike otherwise.
Yeah Rigs are notorious for having a lack of clearance at the FD. :rolleyes: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.