Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a new bike for ~$600. I've been looking seriously at the Gary Fisher Tassajara and the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and have test ridden both. Is there any major reason to go with one or the other? What would you view as pros/cons of each bike? I'm a newb, so any advice would help.

Thanks,

T

·
Registered
204 Posts
click here

In this price range IBEX is a very very stong competitor. Sadly they are web only. Bit of a leap of faith there.
I think that GT went tits up. I could be wrong.
The GF Tass is nice - did you want disc brakes?

The number one thing that will enhance or take away from your enjoyment is fit.

Things to think about after finding some bikes that fit you well.

1) What am I likely to want to upgrade first? Is that part better / worse on one of your choices?
2) Buy a bike that has clipless pedals. You will eventually want them and it is a ~100-200 upgrade.
3) Componentry and the fork are the most expensive parts on the bike. That is where you are going to get your value. Check the reviews here to see what others think.
4) Frame material can make a big diff in weight, learn the differences but do not put too much weight on the frame asa deciding factor.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Pacifica vs Trek ...

Terminator3 said:
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a new bike for ~$600. I've been looking seriously at the Gary Fisher Tassajara and the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc and have test ridden both. Is there any major reason to go with one or the other? What would you view as pros/cons of each bike? I'm a newb, so any advice would help.

Thanks,

T
GT was bought out by the anti-christ of bicyles, Pacifica (along with Schwinn). These folks are only interested in you before the sale. After you've bought the bike, you're on your own. GT is considered to be junk now.

Gary Fisher Bikes was bought out by Trek. Trek is one of the big 3 vendors of quality bicycles (Trek, Giant, Specialized).

You choose who you want to buy a bike from.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The tassajara is a great bike for the money. ive had mine for 5 years now and its still running strong. You can get the Tassajara disc for a few hundred more. my friend has teh disc, and i have a 2000 tass and a 2004 (its set up for my mom cause i ride my 2000) my opinion is probabaly biased (cause i own one) but GT isnt the greatest bike these days. i think the tass is the way to go if its between the 2. The GF comes with a Rock Shox pilot fork, which is an ok fork, but not the best. and the paint job on teh GF is pretty sweet :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys, for the feedback.

Zenorb, I don't think I really need disc brakes, but they would be nice to have. The GT already comes with them, and on the Tass they can be added (I don't want to pay extra for them on the GF at this point). What do you mean by clippless pedals? I was thinking I would just go with the pedal straps for starters.

Green, glad to hear you like the Tass. I believe the '05 Tass comes with a Manitou Axel Elite shock, whereas the GT comes with the Rock Shock Judy. Is one better than the other?

Has anyone else out there had direct contact with one of these two bikes?

This forum is great!

T

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I'd say go with the Gary Fisher. The components seem to be a bit more solid... probably because they're not sacrificing other areas in order to get disc brakes. Disc brakes are nice, but the Tassajara frame is equipped to take them should you want to upgrade in the future. The Judy fork is not very good, and the Axel has a lockout which is a big plus (good for climbing or if you want to ride on pavement).

Clipless pedal allow you to attach yourself to your bike via cleats on your shoes. This allows you to pull up as well as push down on your pedals giving you more power. If you want to go clipless you'll have to buy a set of pedals and a pair of shoes. I would advise making this your first bike upgrade... one you've tried them you'll never want to ride platforms again. They needn't be too expensive an upgrade either... I think Nashbar (www.bikenashbar.com) has some shoes for about $35, and you can get pedals for as low as that too, depending on which ones you want to get. Before you buy, make sure you read the reviews section on here for pedals, since there are a few different manufacturers' systems you could buy. Personally I went with Crank Bros Candy C's as my first clipless pedals and they've worked out very well for me (I bought them for $45 shipped from eBay).

Whatever you do, don't use toe clips. They're very difficult to get out of in a crash (not intuitive like clipless). Think of it like skis... clipless pedals are like bindings; toe clips & straps are like tying the skis on with string.

-Jen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had toe clips, then i took the straps off, then just got new platform pedals. ive ridden with platfroms for a while, cause my biek is my main source of transportation (im 16) so i ride it on teh road, so i neevr got clipless pedals, but since im looking at new bikes, i am most definetly getting clipless, no questions about it

·
Registered
215 Posts
What about the Giant Iguana? I saw a 2004 in my LBS on sale for $500. Comes with Hayes mechanial disc brakes and components on par with the Gary Fisher. The 2005 model has a newer shock(maybe some better components..not sure) and retails for $600.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gt

hello there

i just bought a '04 GT Avalanche Disc and i am very happy with it. i did here the story about GT being bought by Pacific but it did not scare me. Should anything happen to the frame, the store said that they would be handling any and all corresspondence with Pacific. I bought my bike from Performance Bikes and they pretty much stand by their products.they do have great service.

My two pennies. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.