Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO here I sit owning a new fat bike for the past month or so and I am already thinking of buying another one. The GF wants a fatty, so here is my plan. My bike is a large, I can get a small frame for her for a real good price and transfer all my parts over to it and then buy myself a new RSD Mayor Fatbike. I looked at getting new rims to lighten the bike by about 4-6 pounds at a cost of over a grand but the new bike stock is already 5 lbs lighter than the one I own, this takes it to about 30 lbs and for a guy who's around 220 30 is nothing. All I asked is that she purchase the frame and I can take care of the rest. Sounds like a good deal for her and me?

·
Registered
286 Posts
She should be fine with a fatbike around 35lbs. I am 5'5" 130 lbs and 63 yrs old. My Pugsley @ stock was 35 lbs. Since I have added a rack and some other things the weight is closer to 40lbs.
You can play with the PSI depending on the terrain. I add more air when on asphalt to roll faster and easier. Also a bike with more gears .. that granny gear for tougher terrains will help her.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me as well. I surprised my wife a Farley so she could get in on some of the fun, if she was just my girlfriend I would have had her contribute some $$

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
However you feel you can justify new parts....do it!!

I would love to have my wife riding a fatty (MUST RESIST) next to me....but I need to get her on a regular mtb before she steps up to the big rubbers.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
However you feel you can justify new parts....do it!!

I would love to have my wife riding a fatty (MUST RESIST) next to me....but I need to get her on a regular mtb before she steps up to the big rubbers.
I saw the title, saw your name and I thought oh oh this is going to be spectacular and nothing :)

My wife rides a fatty.

·
1,711 Posts
Gary Fisher DOES need to get a fatty. I think he would like it :rolleyes:

:p

·
Registered
140 Posts
RSD The mayor does not have clearance for 4.8 tires on 100mm rims. Only on 80mm rims. If you are 220lbs and want max float this is something to consider.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I am trying to get back to 200. Current bike has 3.8 rear 4.8 front.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did exactly the same thing... Bought a 9:zero:7 frame and transferred my AL Beargrease bits over to it. Put a Carver TransFat fork, MargeLites, and 1x11 on the Beargrease. Everybody wins!

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
I did this twice, the first time I swapped the drivetrain from my cruiser 29er to afford the initial purchase on my own fatbike and now swapped all those parts from my fatbike to build up the wife's fatbike

I got the upgrades I wanted, she got a new bike like she wanted

The donor 29er is still singlespeed and will likely stay that way for some time

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
...so when my GF and I first started seeing each other she rode a rusty Trek somethingorother...she saw my Ti Fatback and said she thought she might like to try winter biking and camping. A friend was liquidating his Ti Fatty rental fleet and replacing them with more affordable fattys, so I bought another Ti Fatback in her size...I let her "BORROW" the bike for two years until one day we split. She asked if she could keep the bike to which I simply replied in the negative...she seemed more hurt by that than us splitting up...well, anyways, she goes out and buys an Alu Fatback spec'd with XTR, carbon and Ti everything...soon thereafter, we got back together and we transferred her nice parts to my nice frame and then C-Listed the Alu bike...blah, blah, blah...happily every after, etc, etc...I guess the moral to this story is you can always let her "borrow" the bike.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frame has been ordered, should be here next week and I get my new RSD fatty next week as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
...so when my GF and I first started seeing each other she rode a rusty Trek somethingorother...she saw my Ti Fatback and said she thought she might like to try winter biking and camping. A friend was liquidating his Ti Fatty rental fleet and replacing them with more affordable fattys, so I bought another Ti Fatback in her size...I let her "BORROW" the bike for two years until one day we split. She asked if she could keep the bike to which I simply replied in the negative...she seemed more hurt by that than us splitting up...well, anyways, she goes out and buys an Alu Fatback spec'd with XTR, carbon and Ti everything...soon thereafter, we got back together and we transferred her nice parts to my nice frame and then C-Listed the Alu bike...blah, blah, blah...happily every after, etc, etc...I guess the moral to this story is you can always let her "borrow" the bike.
Now I get why your screen name .. lol

Congrats for getting back together and what great bikes to enjoy together. Just don't break up again .. 'cause ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts