Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I've been loooking through the pages to see if anyone has compared what I am looking at although havn't seen any pages so I hope you can give another newbie a bit of help and advice.

I just moved to Australia from the UK and am looking at getting my first mountain bike, in the UK I was looking at the Rockhopper however the components are totally different in Oz and not as high specs, so I am now looking at the GF Marlin, Giant Alias.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Marlin

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10066

Giant would cost A$1000 mark (US$740). Marlin would cost A$950.

The bikes would be from different shops and both of which have been helpful so far however the shop selling the marlin have said they will throw in slicks tyres (I need to bike to get to work as well), a year servicing and free workshop tutition session 3 hours.

The Local Giant shop will only offer 1 free service in first 12 months for the Alias, although I havn't pushed hard yet, these were the opening offers.

I am going to test ride the bikes however as the Alias doesn't come out here for 2/3 weeks I can't ride it yet, which is annoying as want to but asap. So basicly I need advice as whether I should wait and then test ride both or just try the marlin and if all's good then just buy that.

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
GF Marlin

I recently bought my wife a Marlin. So far she could'nt be happier. The WSD frame fits her perfect and the Manitu shocks with lock out have been perfect from the hills to around town. I'm a little biased towards GF because I also have a cake1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thasnks guys

I decided I didn't want to wait 2/3 weeks for the alias and found another shop and looked at a GT avalanche 1.0 with v brakes (overal better comps than the GF) this was advertised at AU$850 and the person said they would do it for 800 with a helmet included. I then went back to the GF shop to test ride the bike and mentioned the other offer and the person's boss was there and he said he'd reduce the bike to 800 not inc. the slicks. After riding the marlin I then went and rode the GT, the marlin felt a lot better, more
comfortable which at my stage is the most important reading the advice on other pages etc. I said the is the the person at the GT shop and they said they would see what
they could do on a bundle however I didn't want to compramise on additions
as I felt the bike was the key thing in the purchase.

Anyway ended up paying A$1089 or £446 or US$800 for the following (in brakets are the
supposed rrp's for each of the items in aussie $)

GF marlin ($995)
trek helmet (worth $120)
2 slick tyres (worth £100, $50 each) - puncture resitant etc (of course kept the previous trail tyres, they will be needed)
lock, grade 8 (70)
locking bolts for the wheels and seat (35)
lights(80)
pump (35)
free workshop (3hr)
free servicing of breaks and gears for 1 year

I'm pretty happy with the deal and even though I didn't want to buy on price I think I got a good deal overall. Speaking to the guy afterwards he said I was
right to mention the other shop as the manager will do anything pretty much
not to lose a sale to them. Also with the money saved i can afford to upgrade the comps. when I decide to

Cheers for the help!! happy riding

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.