Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So here goes, I have been riding for 10 months off and on. I am looking at buying a new bike. I currently have a Trek 8000,

I am kicking the idea around about a Gary Fisher HIFI PRO.

Anyone tell the pros or cons to this bike besides what i have seen in the ads.

I don't want to spend more than 4K and looking at a full sus 29

Thanks
Cherry (I crash alot)

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
azrod68 said:
Ok,

So here goes, I have been riding for 10 months off and on. I am looking at buying a new bike. I currently have a Trek 8000,

I am kicking the idea around about a Gary Fisher HIFI PRO.

Anyone tell the pros or cons to this bike besides what i have seen in the ads.

I don't want to spend more than 4K and looking at a full sus 29

Thanks
Cherry (I crash alot)
With that budget, you can just about snag any full suspension 29"er (outside of the lightest weight XC race trim fully bikes - Superfly 100 and Epic Marathon) and in my opinion is a very realistic budget. Whether you buy a full kit or get a frame and do a build from the ground up, you can buy a lot of bike with $4K. Turner Sultan (with the trail build kit), Niner JET 9, Lenz Leviathan in 3" or 4", Kona Hei-Hei 2-9, Titus Racer X, Salsa Big Mama, Specialized Epic Comp, etc.... all would be able to come in within your budget.

Have you had a chance to test ride a HiFi? That would be the ideal way to find out first hand. I test rode the 2008 and 2009 HiFi bikes, but not the 2010. I liked the bikes and was pleased with the improvements over what I already owned from Fisher which is a 2004 Sugar 293 (a predecessor of the HiFi). Good warranty from Fisher/Trek and nice LBS support certainly are pros of going with the HiFi. Once you get used to it (a few rides), the bike will also be a lot more forgiving and help you with your confidence and technique over the Trek 8000.

BB

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
With a $4k budget, just about any bike that exists is within your reach. Especially if you shop right (this means considering used, and/or building it up yourself).

Basically, you're saying the sky is the limit...so you need to focus on other things than price. Style, preference, terrain, etc.etc.

re: a HIFI, my bro has an 09 HIFI, the only thing he doesn't like is the XT shifters. 1 try on my XO's and he's wanting to change. Other than that, he's in love.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice! not sure yet just trying to get some feed back, might even look at the rumble fish II , The bike shop here is town is willing to give me a 10% discount. So just trying to figure out all my options. How much of a change is it going to be going from a 26 HT to a 29 full sus?? Did i mention i crash a lot :)

Old and Slow !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like it was said before it would best to test as many bikes as you can before you buy one.

I got a 09 Hifi Pro a little bit back and I love it. The 2010 has some improvements that are supposed to make it even better. It depends on what you want it for. The Hifi has more of an XC frame set up. I know on the steep downhill it won't be as forgiving as the rumblefish. Otherwise it is pretty light and fast. I just switched to the 29er and noticed that it smooths out the bumps compared to my wifes top fuel 26er when we are on the same trails (we just did a 10 day ride). The G2 geometry is also probably a little different than some of the other bikes.

Anyway, I like it, but try as many bikes as you can and figure out what terrain you want to ride on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Trek 8000 and recently bought a GF HI FI Pro 29er. I'm sure you would find that the GF gives you a lot more stability on the trail over technical terrain and it has far superior climbing traction. It is a little slower to turn in very tight twisty singletrak. I'm sure you would find similar handling with various other manufactureres mentioned above, but also noteworthy that if you are new to the sport the support of a good bike shop is extremely valuable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.