Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've heard that the frame is about 1/2 the cost of a bike.
I doubt that works but you could figure the cost of the components pretty easy and bounce that against the MSRP.

I usually put a very heavy discount on 'used' anything. In the case of a bike from a mainline manufacturer you loose the warranty. From that point of view the bike is used even if it hasn't ever had a part on it but it would be worth more to me than a bike someone else had built and used/abused.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've heard that the frame is about 1/2 the cost of a bike.
I doubt that works but you could figure the cost of the components pretty easy and bounce that against the MSRP.
yeah the frame = 1/2 cost thing is probably not that accurate. many manufacturers use the same frame at different price points for a model. so the hi-fi frames are all the same, excepting differences in size, shock, and the material used. and i think theres over a $1000 difference in cost between the hifi and the hifi pro, which would skew the 1/2 cost calculation.

and thats not easily calculated in component costs either. try to price out all the components separately aftermarket and youll often barely have anything left over for the frame itself.

a possible way to figure it out is ask your lbs how much it would cost to buy just a frame or just a frame and fork and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.