Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a second bike and I'm thinking either the Ferrous or SIR. I already have a dedicated singlespeed so I want something with the option for gears. Both bikes seem to get high praise but I've never had the chance to really ride either one. My LBS does not have a Ferrous in stock to try. There are some used Ferrous' out there but I'm not sure on the size. I know a lot has to do with preferences but would like some feedback. I'm 6" with a 32" inseam. Based on the Niner website I could fit either a medium or large. I believe the ferrous has a little longer ETT so what do you think?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
SIR all the way. Take that with a grain of salt though since I haven't ridden the ferrous. I have heard GF had some breakage issues with the ferrous, but I imagine they've worked that out by now. To me it's a no brainer, I ride an MCR and would never even consider giving it up for a ferrous. The bike rides and fits perfectly. I'm not sure what fisher is doing with the geometry with the ferrous (G2 or not?), but if it's G2 you're pretty limited in your fork options. With the SIR you'll have all kinds of good fork options, and in my opinion a better designed frame with better steel throughout the entire frame and the best 29er geo I've ridden.

·
Registered
310 Posts
the ferrous is not G2, its a different gometry.

i like it, its a pretty cool frame, very versatile because of the EBB so you can set it up however you like. cant fit huge tires though, knobby 2.2s rub in the rear

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ferrous

Slingshot,
I love my Ferrous and so will you. It a phenomenal bike and I know you can't beat the value. Unless you have the parts, a SIR Niner is going to be WAY more $.

I've put close to 400 miles on this bike over the last 3 months and haven't had anything break. Knock on wood. I crash a lot, too.

I admit that I haven't ridden a Niner but the Ferrous rides like a dream. The ergos are great for me, and to answer/reply to tiflow's statement about G2.

tiflow_21 said:
. I'm not sure what fisher is doing with the geometry with the ferrous (G2 or not?), but if it's G2 you're pretty limited in your fork options. .
The Ferrous is not G2 and doesn't need to be. It is a sharp handling and stable ride.

I wrote a review on my bike:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/gary-fisher/ferrous-29/PRD_414217_1548crx.aspx

The only changes that I would make to my reviews are:
Strengths- I love the Rhythm wheels. They are still true and rolling smoothly. I converted both to tubeless (Maxxis Ardent front and Jones ACX in rear) and they hold air better than with tubes.
Weaknesses- You are limited to using a 2.1 to maybe a 2.2 rear tire. Otherwise the front deraileur will hit the tire when using the little chain ring.

I recommend you ride a GF Paragon or X-Cal for sizing. I did and have absolutely no regrets. By the way, I'm 5' 11" have the 19" bike. Last of all if you want a unique bike go with the Ferrous. Everybody is riding Niners these days. I must have seen 25 at the Massenutten Hoo Ha last weekend.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ppfeifer said:
Slingshot,
Last of all if you want a unique bike go with the Ferrous. Everybody is riding Niners these days. I must have seen 25 at the Massenutten Hoo Ha last weekend.
Fisher is unique? That's news to me as I see more fishers than any other 29er. The ferrous may be slightly unique, but you can't assume that all the niners you're seeing are MCRs or SIRs.. I'd also venture to say there's a good reason you're seeing all of these niners showing up. You won't find anyone stocking niners around here, but there sure are a lot of places stocking fishers. I'd agree that you'll generally spend more on a MCR or SIR build, but you'll also get all the parts you want. I was considering going with either a ferrous or the MCR when I was in the market and replacing all the so-so parts on the ferrous would've ended up costing the same or more than just building the MCR from the frame up. No brainer for me, but I'm also picky when it comes to parts and prefer to build a bike the way I want it.

Either way I wouldn't worry too much about what is more unique, I'm sure both bikes will ride nicely. Try to test ride both and see how they feel.

·
Registered
469 Posts
A note on sizing: I'm 6' with a 32" inseam (pants, not biking) and I'm on a large Ferrous with a 90mm, 0 degree stem, 680mm Salsa flat bars with 17 degrees of sweep, and a Thomson setback seatpost. This is an aggressive position, but it works well. I can't imagine going with either a larger or a smaller frame.

As others have mentioned, the Ferrous is not G2, but neither is it true G1: it has a slightly shorter toptube and a steeper headtube angle than the G1 bikes. I'm running mine with a first generation (39mm of offset) Reba set at 80m.

This is a solid, smooth-riding frame, but it's not light: not only is it steel, but the EBB also adds some weight. I run mine SS, so it's worth it, but were I looking for an exclusively geared bike I might look elsewhere to eliminate the weight and added complexity of the EBB.

Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have parts to build the bike so i was just interested in the frame. I'm not worried about weight. My rigid slingshot is pretty darn heavy already but weight doesn't concern me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not to stray off topic

tiflow,
All valid points. :thumbsup: I'm not knocking the Niners in any way. It's just from my perspective and position (I don't work at a bike shop), that the Ferrous is a better bang for your buck bike. Since Slingshot, only cares about frames then my comments are moot. :confused: Bottom line, the Ferrous is a nice riding bike. Finally, the reason I brought up the "unique" thing is that it's fun to have a bike few people have. I've never seen another Ferrous but I've seen several SIR's, EMD's, and Jet's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heya...just saw all your posts. Just a quick comment on tiflow's response about the steel on a Niner being better. Both Renolds 853 and True Temper OX are the high end steel's from both companies. You can't go wrong with either, they are both incredible riding metals. Both bikes are great and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've worked in shops for over 8 years and to be honest, you'll love which ever one you buy. So stop sweating it. It's a choice between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Never tried the Niner, so can't speal of it, however the Ferrous is by far my favorite bike I have ever ridden. Sweet ride and won't be disappointed if you go with one (guaranteed for life as well).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts