Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GF Big Sur: what size ?

Hi,

Thinking of buying a 2004 Big Sur (25% discount :cool: ), but dealer only had L in the shop.
Drove up & down the street on the L, which was setup for the guy who was going to come and pick it up. So it didn't feel 100% right.

Not sure what size to order: 19" or 21" ? :confused:

I'm 187cm (think that's about 6'2''), inseam 90cm (= 35,4in).

Wrench-science advizes 20-21'', other dealer thought 21" (which he didn't have in store either) woul be to big.
On my hybrid bike (communting) TT= 58cm, cockpit about 70cm, and position is already rather sporty.

Anybody any advice on that ?
Thx a million !

Pieter,

Belgium

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your height doesn't tell as much as your inseem. The size you need is the size that gives you atleast one inch of stand over on the top tube. Maybe a little more, but try not to go too much. Go back to this shop and check other sizes of similar fishers. Otherwise you have chosen an excellent bike and company.

·
Registered
29 Posts
monkeyboy90 said:
Your height doesn't tell as much as your inseem. The size you need is the size that gives you atleast one inch of stand over on the top tube. Maybe a little more, but try not to go too much. Go back to this shop and check other sizes of similar fishers. Otherwise you have chosen an excellent bike and company.
This is generally a good rule, but didn't apply very well to me the first HKEK I bought in '94. I am 6'2" @ 195lbs. as well, and I always felt like the '94 was a little big for me, but of course Gary doesn't make an 18" bike (like Trek does - dang!) and the 17" was too small. However, I recently bought a 19" 2004 HKEK and it feels just about perfect for me.

So, I agree with MonkeyBoy. Try the other models (especially the ones with the ZR9000 frame - better, in my mind, to test the bikes that use the same frame as the one you want to buy) if they are available and go with the size that feels the most comfortable.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
The large should be appropriate for you. Forget about the 17", 19" and 21" and start looking at the toptube length. Fisher uses a 24.7" toptube on the 19" frame and given you are slightly leg long the XL with a 25.5" toptube would be way to streached out for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
genesis size

hi pieter, i have a gary fisher - tassajara 2004, i think that this is the same frame like big sur. I am 190 cm tall, and riding at size 21" XL. Distance between top tube should be 5-7 cm for mountain bike. The bike i ride is pretty big. Look at the picture
https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/507/247315tass1.jpg
This genesis geometry is a little bit special, thats why some dealers have different opinions about which size fits you. I also had the same problem, one told me 19, another 21 (he told me that 185 cm and bmore shoud have 21"). I chose 21. And i am satysfied:)
it's hard to give you an advice... For me, this is the maximum size, that i fit.

Did you already buy it?

Juro, slovakia

·
Registered
29 Posts
CDMC said:
The large should be appropriate for you. Forget about the 17", 19" and 21" and start looking at the toptube length. Fisher uses a 24.7" toptube on the 19" frame and given you are slightly leg long the XL with a 25.5" toptube would be way to streached out for you.
This makes more sense to me than using the measurement of the top-tube distance to my crotch, especially since the thing that most bothered me about my 1994 19" HKEK was feeling stretched out by the distance from seat to handle-bars, even with the seat lowered and pushed forward (the 17.5" was okay, but too scrunched).

FYI, I have about the same inseam, as far as I can measure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yuray said:
hi pieter, i have a gary fisher - tassajara 2004, i think that this is the same frame like big sur. I am 190 cm tall, and riding at size 21" XL. Distance between top tube should be 5-7 cm for mountain bike. The bike i ride is pretty big. Look at the picture
https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/507/247315tass1.jpg
This genesis geometry is a little bit special, thats why some dealers have different opinions about which size fits you. I also had the same problem, one told me 19, another 21 (he told me that 185 cm and bmore shoud have 21"). I chose 21. And i am satysfied:)
it's hard to give you an advice... For me, this is the maximum size, that i fit.

Did you already buy it?

Juro, slovakia
Well, just heard from the dealer that in september - when the 2005 come out here - the 2004's will have even bigger discounts.
So, still waiting and plenty of time to get some more advice about the size...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.