Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked my GF Big Sur frame few weeks ago. I think it's a 1999 model (mostly black, with red/white lettering). I've put ~5000 miles on it, mostly on paved road but also some light trail-riding. No drops, no jumps, nothing too extreme.

Has anyone seen this type of crack before?

The LBS that sold it to me no longer carry GF, but they were kind enough to send in the frame to the Swedish distributor anyway. Hopefully the warranty will cover this.

Also, I've read here that GF don't stock old frames. How do they handle color-matching? I see that the 2005 Big Sur is purple. Not sure how the red Judy XC fork will look on a frame like that. Any chance I can get them to ship a fork too? (The LBS told me to strip the frame clean before giving it to them, so I still have the fork.)

/Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Greetings

I have the same bike and it has seen alot of use. However, I don't really abuse it (single track, jeep trails, no real jumping) so it's held very well. To me, it looks like a bad weld on your bike - checked mine and it was fine but it's a big weld there. Mine does make a few odd noises but I thinks it either the headset or seat. But thanks for letting me know what model it was. I couldn't remember when I bought my bike. I want a FS bike and told my wife that after 5 years you just have to get a new bike (I thought I bought it in 2001). It's been a great bike - kinda hate to get a new bike but I would like to check out a FS. BTW, I use a suspension seatpost (actually on my third post - RockShox's don't last that long with heavy use). Good luck with Gary Fisher.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cracked GF Big Sur frame has now been replaced. My LBS just got a beautiful Ziggurat 2004 frame back from Gary Fisher. It took quite a while to get it replaced, but hopefully it will be worth it. Now I'll just have to decide how much money I will spend on upgrades. Putting the old stuff (some of it ~6 years old) from the Big Sur on doesn't feel right. :)

By the way, how do I know what size the seatpost is on the 2004 Ziggurat? I browsed fisherbikes.com, but I'm either blind or the info is lacking.

/Daniel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.