Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought myself an '08 X-cal and I'm toying with the idea of changing the fork to 100mm. Can those of you who have made the conversion chime in on how the bike handle after the switch? I'm assuming that the head angle slackened, but is it noticeable? Is there more flex in the fork? Did you change your stem/bars at the same time? Any other differences, significant or otherwise, would be appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Full travel

Just make sure you get the full travel from your new 100mm fork. I have experienced only getting 83-84mm from the Fox F-29 100RL, even after resetting all fluid levels. To get more you need to modify it.

If the geometry can accommodate this change, I cannot say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to be clear, my fork is an 80mm and I want to convert it to 100mm. I know there is a debate on wether or not this is possible, but from what I have seen and read it is with minor modification. I just need to know if the change is worth it.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I say give it a try because the process is reversable and the lbs shouldn't charge too much for the work to convert it.

It will slow your steering by a little bit. I prefer a "stable" bike like this but some people really appreciate quick handling. Definitely a personal preference.

On downhills it will make the bike more stable and confident

It could make the front wheel feel light and floppy when climbing, but this depends partially on your climbing technique and weight distribution

It can also add to the feeling of wheel flop when turning in general. Some people are more sensitive to this than others.

The fork won't flex any more than it did before.

Flipping the stem and/or moving spacers above the stem should give you all the adjustment you need for position.

I don't have a GF bike, but I did this on my 29er hardtail and I liked it a lot more. I am not over top of the front wheel as much and I feel more confident on rough trails. I didn't really need the additional travel, I just like what it did for the geometry of my bike

Oh, it will also raise your bottom bracket height. Mine was raised by about 3/8". This helped a lot with pedal strikes on all the rocks, but it does take away from the cornering and carving feeling of the bike as well since your weight is higher. However, my BB started off less than 12" and ended up around 12.25" while the BB height of the X-Cal starts at 12.25"

·
Registered
68 Posts
I run my Superfly with 100mm set in on the forks. I find I prefer that little bit more sag and the extra travel makes me think I can go harder /faster! As for it changing handling/geometry, in the real world you probably won't be able to tell! I can't.

Mentioned earlier was not getting full travel. This was the main reason I switched, as I had to take the fork apart, I decieded to change the travel. The reason I wasn't getting the travel was the Fox Float fluid. The chamber it sits in was full to the top! - Worth checking if you've never looked.There should only be enough to cover the top, which is about 5ml

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Yep, both of my GF 29ers FS&HT are set at 100mm even though designed for 80mm. I think this change affects the handling of 29ers less than it does on 26" bikes.

G

·
spooge is gone!
290 Posts
I changed mine to 100 and can tell no difference in handling on trail, plus I like that little extra suspension and the lock out is very handy.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
spooge said:
I changed mine to 100 and can tell no difference in handling on trail, plus I like that little extra suspension and the lock out is very handy.
I think this is a great example of why you just have to try it and decide for yourself; because my personal experience was the opposite of spooge's here and thats normal. Everyone is sensitive to different things and will notice on aspect more than others

·
Registered
228 Posts
I asked the shop to do it for me before I bought it. My buddy's 08' Paragon only has 80mm travel and I really like the extra plush feel of he 100mm travel.

That being said;at first I couldn't understand what I didn't like about my X-caliber after riding it for a few weeks. I thought that I might need to go back to a 26' bike because I wasn't able to get "the feel" for the bike. One night I started messing with my grips and put them farther in on the handlebar(I'm running 660mm WCS Richey bar) 30mm each. HOLY COW! What a difference for me. The bike became flickable,and fast. I realized that with that extra 60mm on the bars on a 26' bike it was ok,but on a 29'er it felt as if I were steering a boat. The whole time I thought It was because I had screwed up the geometry by going from 80mm to 100mm,meanwhile it was the handlebars that made all of the difference. Needless to say,my bars are now cut to 600mm. :D

BTW if you don't mind me asking,what did you pay for you 08' X-cal?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I converted my Reba from 80 to 100 on my G1 Rig, biggest difference is I got a little more sag which smoothed out the ride. I always had to run 10-15% sag to get the compression right with the Reba. With some minor shock tweaks the compression was nearly identical (just with more sag) providing a better ride and getting my sag numbers where I wanted them (around 30%).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.