Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there live in or close to the Tulsa, Oklahoma area. I'm getting transferred there in June. Any info would be much appreciated.
 

·
C-Hog
Joined
·
458 Posts
You might want to start at...

... www.okearthbike.com

They have info on the Oklahoma state mtn bike series, and probably other info that might be helpful. I know in years past (late 80's / early 90's) Tulsa was a hot-bed for Oklahoma mtn biking. Tulsa always struck me as a vey health-conscious community... lots of runners and cyclists. I haven't spent any time there lately, however. I'm in the KC area now. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I used to travel to Tulsa once a month or more and Turkey Mountain is your best trail (local).
You are a couple of hours from one of my favorite epic ride trails....The Womble in Mena Arkansas. South of Oklahoma City you have a great trail on the banks of lake Murray outside of Ardmore, OK. There is also a Oklahoma XC series but I have not done any of their events. Three hours south of Tulsa you have all of the Dallas area trails which are well maintained by the local cycling club. Below you will find the links to a local Tulsa shop as well as Dorba the local Dallas MTB club. Good luck Tulsa is a pretty town on the banks of the Arkansas river with more to do outdoors than most assume.

www.t-townbicycles.com
www.dorba.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
t-town

I went to college in Oklahoma and have always liked Tulsa. I always say that if I were to live in OK again it would have to be the Tulsa area. You get the friendly Oklahoma vibe with some city life advantages too. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff to do in that area of OK, "green country". It is only about 2 hours to some nice areas in northwest Arkansas also. Check out the Buffalo National River area. Also Devil's Den state park is supposed to have some nice trails. It is listed in the Arkansas trail review section of this site. Good luck with your move!
 

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for T-Town Info

I've checked out some of the links, looks like some good riding, especially some of the trails in Arkansas. Living in Houston there's not much here, so I'm looking forward to some different trails.

Thanks much for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Turkey Mountain

Turkey Mountain is square in the middle of Tulsa, and has a lot of good trail. Figure 15+ miles, much of it very technical single track.

But the famililar refrain is "at least it's close to Arkansas"

Click here for a drive that will become familiar.
 

·
What the Crap?!
Joined
·
188 Posts
I'm in tulsa

when i first moved here from OKC i was seriously looking forward to Turkey Mtn being here - it's a pretty good ride for being in the middle of town. it has a little elevation, some nice technical areas, rocks and some sweet swoopy tight singletrack. but thats basically all there is- there is a trail at lake keystone about 25 min. away, but i didn't really enjoy it at all. otherwise you have a MUT that goes for miles! from sand sprgs thru tulsa to broken arrow so if you live somewhere near it your golden for a commute to work or you can ride it to turkey to get some dirt too.

i would really like a little variety nearby, in OKC area there were about 4 different places to ride the dirt. not great you know, but i could change it up a bit. but tulsa has a lot of riders - especially so on the road. we have quite a few bike shops, but they are all quite basic - nothing beyond the norm. l

let me know if you need some help or more info.
 

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

SpecialSSauce said:
when i first moved here from OKC i was seriously looking forward to Turkey Mtn being here - it's a pretty good ride for being in the middle of town. it has a little elevation, some nice technical areas, rocks and some sweet swoopy tight singletrack. but thats basically all there is- there is a trail at lake keystone about 25 min. away, but i didn't really enjoy it at all. otherwise you have a MUT that goes for miles! from sand sprgs thru tulsa to broken arrow so if you live somewhere near it your golden for a commute to work or you can ride it to turkey to get some dirt too.

i would really like a little variety nearby, in OKC area there were about 4 different places to ride the dirt. not great you know, but i could change it up a bit. but tulsa has a lot of riders - especially so on the road. we have quite a few bike shops, but they are all quite basic - nothing beyond the norm. l

let me know if you need some help or more info.
I'd love to commute to work but my office is actually located in Bartlesville but we'll be living in Owasso. Turkey mountain sounds pretty good, here in Houston everything is pretty flat. Do any of the shops there have any stuff for 29er's or do you have to order everything. What about something called Osage in Bartlesville. How's the Tour De Dirt series, looks like some pretty cool races.

Thanks for the info.....
 

·
What the Crap?!
Joined
·
188 Posts
yeah the trail doesn't run quite that far!

butchc said:
I'd love to commute to work but my office is actually located in Bartlesville but we'll be living in Owasso. Turkey mountain sounds pretty good, here in Houston everything is pretty flat. Do any of the shops there have any stuff for 29er's or do you have to order everything. What about something called Osage in Bartlesville. How's the Tour De Dirt series, looks like some pretty cool races.

Thanks for the info.....
i think you will really like Turkey too! as far as the shops i haven't seen any 29er stuff at all, but i haven't been to all of them recently - there just seems to be a real lack of service for the most part, including the 2 shops that i do spend $ at quite a bit. don't know about osage- is it a trail? if so i may have to investigate.
on the racing stuff i did my first race in over 10 years this year, a 24 hr in watonga OK, so i'm no expert, but the OEF who are involved in the series are good people and well organized and the races are all over so you see a good variety of the different terrain OK has to offer.
 

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Osage trail

SpecialSSauce said:
i think you will really like Turkey too! as far as the shops i haven't seen any 29er stuff at all, but i haven't been to all of them recently - there just seems to be a real lack of service for the most part, including the 2 shops that i do spend $ at quite a bit. don't know about osage- is it a trail? if so i may have to investigate.
on the racing stuff i did my first race in over 10 years this year, a 24 hr in watonga OK, so i'm no expert, but the OEF who are involved in the series are good people and well organized and the races are all over so you see a good variety of the different terrain OK has to offer.
I think the osage is west of Bartlesville. I came across something that mentioned that the trail is being re-worked. There's a shop in Bartlesville I'm gonna check out next time I'm there on a business trip and see if they have any info. Here's a link on the Osage trail. http://www.adventurebicyclecenter.com/new_page_9.htm
 

·
I can't weld
Joined
·
547 Posts
Send me a message when you are ready to do some riding.
There's plenty of guys around that will be happy to show you the basic trails at Turkey and get you started. There is around 30+ miles of trails and it's easy to feel like you are lost, so a basic knowledge of where you can bail yourself out helps.
Turkey was chosen one of the 50 best trails in the US by Bike Magazine. They took what they thought was the best trail in each state. I think they got it right.
If you are around in early March, the Tour de Dirt kicks off outside Lawton with 12 Miles of Hell. http://www.12milesofhell.com/ It's worth it just for the cool T-shirt.
The turkey race is June 11th.
 

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moving

Indiefab said:
Send me a message when you are ready to do some riding.
There's plenty of guys around that will be happy to show you the basic trails at Turkey and get you started. There is around 30+ miles of trails and it's easy to feel like you are lost, so a basic knowledge of where you can bail yourself out helps.
Turkey was chosen one of the 50 best trails in the US by Bike Magazine. They took what they thought was the best trail in each state. I think they got it right.
If you are around in early March, the Tour de Dirt kicks off outside Lawton with 12 Miles of Hell. http://www.12milesofhell.com/ It's worth it just for the cool T-shirt.
The turkey race is June 11th.
Thanks, sounds like Turkey Mountain is the place to ride and from looking at a map not very far from Owasso. Not sure I'll make any of the early season races, but definitely plan on racing the later races. Have you ridden any of the Arkansas trails, if so, what kind of drive time is it from Tulsa.
 

·
I can't weld
Joined
·
547 Posts
I do need to get to AR sometime. Anybody from Tulsa doing some spring trips?

It looks like its ~ 3 hrs to the Fort Smith area. 4hours to Mena. Looks like it's worth it. I hear that they have more than one "mountain" there. heehee.
 

·
Eric the Red
Joined
·
438 Posts
Someone is always doing a trip to Arkansas.

Butchc, when you get here give me a holler. I'd be happy to show you around. The bike shop in Bartlesville is run by a guy who does a lot of trail work. He built the trails out at Osage hills, and he got the Keystone trails started. Super nice guy, too. There are a couple of 29er friendly shops, Adventure bicycle in Bartlesville is one. Randall the owner, rides one, loves it, and of course wants everyone to buy one from him. (You can't fault a guy for wanting to eat) The Fisher dealer in Tulsa, Lee's is starting to have more stuff, they stock a couple of tires and some tubes. Good for emergencies, but you'll need them to order any more. T-Town was quick to order me a set of Fast Tracs the days Specialized had them in stock. Anyway, every time I turn around someone I know is getting a 29er. It won't be long before the shops figure it out, and stock more stuff for us.
 

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tulsa Trails

edoz said:
Butchc, when you get here give me a holler. I'd be happy to show you around. The bike shop in Bartlesville is run by a guy who does a lot of trail work. He built the trails out at Osage hills, and he got the Keystone trails started. Super nice guy, too. There are a couple of 29er friendly shops, Adventure bicycle in Bartlesville is one. Randall the owner, rides one, loves it, and of course wants everyone to buy one from him. (You can't fault a guy for wanting to eat) The Fisher dealer in Tulsa, Lee's is starting to have more stuff, they stock a couple of tires and some tubes. Good for emergencies, but you'll need them to order any more. T-Town was quick to order me a set of Fast Tracs the days Specialized had them in stock. Anyway, every time I turn around someone I know is getting a 29er. It won't be long before the shops figure it out, and stock more stuff for us.
EDOZ, Thanks I'll do that when I get up there, yeah I had wanted to check out the shop in B'Ville last time I was up there but didn't get a chance to, work interfered with bike stuff, gotta work on the priorities. How many miles are the Osage trails. I've seen a couple of maps not sure if they are up-to-date or not but they didn't show very much in the way of rideable trails.
I'm really looking forward to trying my X-Cal on some different trails, especially something with some climbing to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Tulsa Area, I live in Owasso

I actually live in Owasso. Moved recently from CO and I have to say there is little in the way of MTB riding in the Tulsa area. Everything we do have is quite a drive from Owasso: Turkey Mtn, Chandler park is good, and Keystone. All 30-45 minutes from Owasso. Very little in the way of public lands in OK which puts quite a damper on MTBing. About an hour away is Greenleaf and Gruber which is are near epic trails. VERY good.

Otherwise, unless you like to drive a LONG ways for every ride, get used to road biking. Actually some of the best road riding in the Tulsa area is in the Owasso, Collinsville, Sperry, Skiatook areas.

I guess I got spoiled living in the mountains in CO where I could be in the woods within a 1/4 mile from my door. Ah well! PM me when you get here and we'll hook up.
 

·
VeloDad3
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Driving to Ride

riderjtt said:
I actually live in Owasso. Moved recently from CO and I have to say there is little in the way of MTB riding in the Tulsa area. Everything we do have is quite a drive from Owasso: Turkey Mtn, Chandler park is good, and Keystone. All 30-45 minutes from Owasso. Very little in the way of public lands in OK which puts quite a damper on MTBing. About an hour away is Greenleaf and Gruber which is are near epic trails. VERY good.

Otherwise, unless you like to drive a LONG ways for every ride, get used to road biking. Actually some of the best road riding in the Tulsa area is in the Owasso, Collinsville, Sperry, Skiatook areas.

I guess I got spoiled living in the mountains in CO where I could be in the woods within a 1/4 mile from my door. Ah well! PM me when you get here and we'll hook up.
Driving to ride is not a problem, living here in Houston it's anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on where we're going. Road riding here is another story. Traffic SUX's, we have to drive to get to a decent area, looking forward to a place where traffic isn't quite so bad. Thanks for the info, look forward to riding......
 

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top