Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you ladies who, like me, are only about 115lbs and can't keep the rear wheel down on tough technical climbs...i found the answer. I put a tubeless 2.5 on the rear for added weight and traction, and WOW... I can climb almost anything..and if the wheel slips, it will dig in if I stay with it... yes, it is heavier, but well worth it. It also gives me about another 1/2" of travel feel in addition to the 4" I have on the Fox Pro Pedal. Very nice!

I have another bike for fast courses ;-)

·
Registered
90 Posts
How much air pressure do you run in your tires?

A rider as light as you can get away with running really low pressure. More traction without adding more rotational weight.

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
2tricky said:
A rider as light as you can get away with running really low pressure. More traction without adding more rotational weight.
I hear ya. Stan's and about 20lb of pressure in my tires.

·
Registered
90 Posts
For someone 115#'s that still is a little excessive.

dirtcrab said:
I hear ya. Stan's and about 20lb of pressure in my tires.
I can run 23lbs in front and about 28 lbs in the rear of my 2.1's and I weigh 200lbs. I often wonder why so many people insist on running such high pressures. As long as you dont "bottom" out the rim and you dont get rear end squirmy feel you could probably even run in the high teens.

·
Registered
256 Posts
depends on the terrain, eh?

I'm 120 lbs and can get snake bit tubes riding 35 psi. Lots of sharp edges rocks on my favorite trails.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm running Stan's (about 2 months now) and get the squirmy rear end feeling at around 30lbs. Feels like I'm about to roll the tire off the rim.

·
Registered
256 Posts
errata

MidAtlanticXCer said:
I'm 120 lbs and can get snake bit tubes riding 35 psi. Lots of sharp edges rocks on my favorite trails.
Oops, I am reliably informed that Stan's are tubeless and that therefore I have no clue what I am talking about (not unusual). Carry on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I feel that also with certain tires.

CycleMainiac said:
I'm running Stan's (about 2 months now) and get the squirmy rear end feeling at around 30lbs. Feels like I'm about to roll the tire off the rim.
I like the firmer sidewalls found on "Non race" or "epic" tires.
I guess I am kinda of a tire junky. I buy and use tires to try and get the "perfect" one. I guess the same drive that keeps me wondering whats on the other side of that hill is the same drive that keeps me searching for a perfect tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts