Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys- I am sloooowly building up my Yo Eddy, and have a MAG21 for it. The MAG21 was the first suspension fork I ever rode offroad, I remember I was 15 years old or so and weighed around 90lbs, and still the thing flexed like crazy. I now weigh around 160 and wonder how this things is gonna ride, these forks are pretty noodly!
So I guess here are the options:
-Stiffer brace. I already have this taken care of- I have a Westpine front brake with the heavy-duty CNC booster.
-Stiffer hub. I have a White hub, which are supposed to be among the stiffest out there. Is maybe a Ringle with that special D-shaped axle which keys into the fork dropouts, and the bolts for securing the hub stiffer? Or is the stiffest option the very unglamourous one of a solid axle Shimano hub with nuts on it?
-Rear brace. I remember Clark-Kent made some of these, and they were supposed to help some. Anyone have any experience with those things? I coul have one made, it seems pretty straightforward. On the other hand, I don't want the fork to be festooned with three different reinforcing arches.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Some of that flex might have been in your imagination.

I've got a Mag installed on my SS, which I probably rode at least 500 off road miles last year, with no special braces or hubs. Stock cast aluminum lower leg brace and Deore XT hub with XT skewer. I weigh in around 175 lbs.

Just ride it. You'll get used to the tiny steering corrections needed.

Does your Mag have the Cro-Mo upper tubes? (mine does) They're definately stiffer than the aluminum stanchions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.