Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This person has "real-time" performance data slickly integrated into this mtb videos on YouTube.
Screenshot below.

Sample video:

Any idea what he is using or how he does it? I don't imagine it's super simple (otherwise we'd see it more often), but maybe it is. Is it all post-production overlays? What is capturing/storing the data during the ride?

Thanks in advance!

·
damned rocks...
2,550 Posts
He's probably using a telemetry overlay with data captured with a GoPro, or a Garmin, or an Android phone, etc...
You have some 3rd party overlays for AE/Premiere that uses that data and allows you to customize to some extent how it's displayed.
I don't recall anything with that clean look, usually they all look like the HUD from some game from the 90's, but it can be some recent product, or something that he took some time customising or even something that he did it himself.
You can Google for "After effects telemetry overlay" and see if you find anything to your liking, or you can just try and ask him :).

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've done it a few times as described above. I found it frustrating more than anything. I prefer to edit in Premiere, so pulling the Garmin data and matching it in Virb then exporting it back it into Premiere Pro, just time consuming. I think GoPro's actual software does it now but only if you've the GPS data from the camera.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
VIRB is free and I thought it was pretty easy to use (since I'm not doing much editing in other programs), and I'm not sure why it isn't in more videos, or for that matter, a built-in function in higher-end action cameras. Here's some really non-entertaining riding with some overlays:

Gopro's phone app overlay I find kind of lame, especially since I always seem to use quick capture mode, which apparently fails to start the Gopro GPS. IMO the overlay was way too big anyways.

Other than VIRB, a software also used to exist called Dashware (before it was bought by Gopro and kind of went extinct). Old freeware versions may still be floating around. It offered much greater customization of the the overlays, at the expense of a far more cryptic interface. In fact, I may have now forgotten how to use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts