Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Village Idiot
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting at about 40, the brain starts fading. I have confirmed that with numerous people, who also go around looking for something that is in their hand or front pocket. After confirming that, I knew it still sucked, but it is completely normal, and not a sign of anything unusual.

Then the prostate checks began. At 53 (tomorrow), I have only had two of those, the last one being a few weeks ago. I think I will wait another 4 years to get a physical again, if only for that reason. It has been my goal to find a female doctor (even an ugly one), with skinny fingers and short fingernails. I have not been successful in finding one of those. As I found out a few weeks ago, even if the dude isn't big, no matter what, his finger is too damned big. I'm sure several people in adjoining rooms heard my very unpleasant moan.

And, of course, my doctor now wants me to get a colonoscopy. I was clueless about those, until I just now did some research. I knew about the nasty crap you have to drink, but I had no idea that they run a 4' tube up your ass to take pictures (or whatever else they do). And now I understood why they sedate you via IV, and someone else has to drive you home afterward.

I beat my plantar fasciitis (sp?) with some exercises I figured out, but I developed another pain in that same ankle. Visually, my ankle bone sticks out much farther to my left. It hurts like hell when I go up and down stairs. It hurts like holy hell when I hike up, or down, or along steep hills. It doesn't bother me at all (except for the persistent ache) when I am riding my MTB. But my doctor has hobbled me, until he gets this figured out. Office visit x-rays showed something in there, but he wasn't sure what it is. Probably either a stress fracture, or some kind of benign bone cancer. So, he ordered a CT scan of it, which I have gotten, but it will be another week until he can see me and go over the CT scan results. That $2,900 CT scan cost me $400. If that doesn't reveal the problem, then he will order an MRI. He may just be milking this for all the money he can generate. But he told me not to ride or hike until this is solved. I don't want to spend another $400-$1,000 just to find that I can't ride or hike anymore. Screw that crap.

And then the movements of the bowels became a really pleasant feeling of relief. The boss who told me that 31 years ago was right - we really do eventually cherish bowel movements. I thought he was an idiot when he said that.

And then the little yellow or blue pills became necessary. I didn't think I would ever need those. But they do work wonderfully, helping with achieving the best feeling in the world.

In other words:

GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!

·
Registered
17,214 Posts
Getting old has lots of drawbacks but on the upside @ 57 I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, credit to plenty of exercise and a much improved diet. That could all change at anytime but for now I feel fantastic and am enjoying life.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,811 Posts
A friend told me I can be upset about getting old but I’m still going to get old. Coffee and ibuprofen baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
hahha..great post.

but to be serious. i'm aging okay. i wouldnt say gracefully, but yea. "okay"

the colon scope thing: i visited my doctor on my 50th birthday. that day..she goes" hey, happy birthday..it's today!!..oh, i got you something"

i was foolishly about to say, "oh, you shouldn..."

"your colonoscopy is scheduled!!"

"oh, you really shouldnt have..." SHE scheduled me two weeks away. talk about crestfallen. worst gift ever. but she was right. the males in my family were decimated by cancer. no sense sticking my head in the dirt. and you know what? it was cake!! the drink wasnt bad if you kept it in the fridge. ice cold!! slug it, and walk to the can. no discomfort "going". it literally just came out..no cramps, zero discomfort. the second time drinking the stuff, i was spotless. you know because it comes out just like it went in. orangy in color. the event? besides the extraordinarily cute technicians hustling about the room. (i dont know how uglier techs would have made it better, but somehow that is how i felt) it all was okay. i did drop a killer joke on them..one they admitted to hearing for the first time. (i cant remember it now..hey, i'm old). prep your joke..practice it. hahahha..

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
**** start going south at different ages for different people, but 65 is the standard cutoff. I'm conforming to the norm. Fifties was nothin'. I was going great guns in early 60s. Now in my mid 60s I'm getting notably weaker, slower, and less mentally sharp. More aches, pains and fatigue. It's kind of annoying, but what are you gonna do. Just keep working at it until you can't. I'm fortunate in not having any diagnosed conditions like BP, cholesterol, prostate, ED... and am not on any drugs...though I'm thinking of trying some now that I hear they've legalized mushrooms in Denver.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
54, and turning 55 the day I do a 24-hour race solo SS, and in the best shape of my life...and I played college football back in the day. Have had three major surgeries in the past 9 years (two rotator cuffs and one triceps tendon), and fully recovered each time. Had my colonoscopy, which was no big deal whatsoever, etc, etc, etc.

I feel great, and have great energy and enthusiasm. Maybe fall asleep a bit earlier, and don’t go clubbing anymore...LOL...but I haven’t missed a beat.

It’s all a state of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Middle Age starts at 50. Old Age starts at death. By then it's too late to worry.

Twenty years ago I wrote an article published in Dirt Rag on turning 50. If anyone can find it, it explains a multitude of things except now I realize the vast majority could be better stated in an article on turning 70. ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
60 in October...have a few more aches and pains but I'm still doing what I love. Compared to 10-15 years ago...I would venture to say life is even better as there are fewer distractions and I'm more 'experienced'.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
... and am not on any drugs...though I'm thinking of trying some now that I hear they've legalized mushrooms in Denver.
Me too. I read somewhere that for people who are faced with a diagnosis of a fatal condition (no one here, I hope!) one dose of Psilocybin had a significantly positive effect on their outlook in 80% of cases......I just want to try it for the hell of it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Of course getting old sucks, in the physical sense anyway. The pain is divided into two groups:

Group 1: The stuff that just gets visited upon you like in a car accident, some cronic illness, my bad back, etc. Yup, this stuff sucks!

Group 2: The stuff I pulled, broke, sprained, brained, skiing, motorcycling, mountain biking, climbing, and just being a kind of dumb ass.

I've got a great story for every one of those group 2 injuries!!

·
9 lives
17,671 Posts
This is Mr B. He is the oldest veteran on my unit. He turned 106 in January this year. He naps a lot during the day, doesn't complain about his health, needs help getting dressed but he talks proudly of his life accomplishments (He was born during WWI and was a WWII journalist). He enjoyed doing various sports during his life. I currently have 6 other residents on my 2 two units that are over a century old. 3 more will be turning 100 this year. They use walkers for mobility and they are all cognitively intact; most importantly they all have a sense of humour. I am in awe of these amazing people. I found that if you can survive your 50s ...the odds of living into your 60's, 70's and 80's + are pretty good.

Head Vision care Serveware Furniture Community

I'm older than you OP (In my 50's I learned to mtb & DH; ski, dirt bike; run etc. survived cancer and will be running my first half marathon in 2 weeks). Every day is a gift.

I hope you get out of your funk OP

·
Registered
64 Posts
**** start going south at different ages for different people, but 65 is the standard cutoff. I'm conforming to the norm. Fifties was nothin'. I was going great guns in early 60s. Now in my mid 60s I'm getting notably weaker, slower, and less mentally sharp. More aches, pains and fatigue. It's kind of annoying, but what are you gonna do. Just keep working at it until you can't. I'm fortunate in not having any diagnosed conditions like BP, cholesterol, prostate, ED... and am not on any drugs...though I'm thinking of trying some now that I hear they've legalized mushrooms in Denver.
I was doing great during my 50's then I got hurt doing MX and late 50's early 60's did suck. Work and stress were taking their toll and I wasn't exercising at all then I got into MTB. I still feel old now but my attitude has improved and I am getting stronger and feeling better all the time. You can't reverse aging but you can certainly slow it down. Will never give up my MTB and go back to those days.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.