Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to start my first year of collegiate raceing and my team is going to do a preseason 6 hour race on one of my local trails.

One spot on the trail is a 3-400 foot rock garden that twist back and forth. I clear it routinly on my regular rides but of course it slow and risky on my rigid bike. Which got me thinkin it would be much faster and less risk of damaging the bike to just get off and run through the section.

I was wondering if this would be looked down upon or if its a usual tactic by some folks..any thoughts..

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
if you come in first who gives a toss?

if you come in last because you walked then obviously it would be looked at in a bad light...

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
typical

As long as you get out of the way for someone riding through, who cares if you are on foot? Most of the time, unless you are in the front, someone will end up getting off, or bobbling causing a forced dismount anyway.

I typically pick the safest option in a really nasty rock garden rather than crashing and costing myself the race due to injury or damage. A race isn't the time to push the technical skills IMO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You should use the first rocks as a ramp, and clear as many as you can. Making sure to land your rear wheel somewhere nice so you don't burp it. Then mash to the exit.

That, or walk it. The former one is the quickest one though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts