Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new fork Rockshox Sid team 04 for only 329. I remember seeing some tutorials on the web how to replace a fork without a press but now I can't find them. I realize at the minimum I will either need to buy a tool to cut the steerer or have a shop cut it. Also possibly a star nut installer tool. is it worth it for me to do it myself or have my LBS do it since the costs of the tools will be close to the cost of the fork install.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
mikeyp187 said:
I just ordered a new fork Rockshox Sid team 04 for only 329. I remember seeing some tutorials on the web how to replace a fork without a press but now I can't find them. I realize at the minimum I will either need to buy a tool to cut the steerer or have a shop cut it. Also possibly a star nut installer tool. is it worth it for me to do it myself or have my LBS do it since the costs of the tools will be close to the cost of the fork install.
Proper tools :O Ooooops. LOL Not sure if the Headset ring is pressed onto your old fork or if it's a newer one that just slips on w/ a space and only requires a screw-driver to get it off (like my FSA headset on my T3). As for some special tool to cut the steerer, I think that it's called a hacksaw and file to smooth off the cut. As for installing the start nut, there's prob a tool but I just use a socket extension and hammer, or old screw driver handle and hammer.

If you're not confident let the shop do it, but I'm pretty sure they aren't gona be as happy installing it if you didn't buy it from them.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
you can cut

the steerer with a hacksaw and a file, a dremel with a cutoff wheel, or pipe cutters. Just make sure not to cut too muich off!

getting the lower headset race on can be kind of tricky without the right tool thought.

putting in a star fangled nut isn't too hard without the tool but the tool helps.

if you cut it yourself, a shop shouldn't charge much to do the other two items becuase they take a grand total of about 5 minutes to complete.

YR

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Let the LBS

mikeyp187 said:
set the star-nut, and bearing race. This way I know it was done right..The rest you can do yourself without any big investment in tools..

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Bearing race is easy just get a piece of PVC pipe that slips over the streerer and is the same OD as the races OD. Hold the fork upsidedown by the stanshions and pound the fork into thetube until race is down onto the crown. Star-nut use the socket trick, again work upside down cause you don't want to be stressing those drop outs by having then take direct pounding.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
yeah but..

Brown_Teeth said:
Bearing race is easy just get a piece of PVC pipe that slips over the streerer and is the same OD as the races OD. Hold the fork upsidedown by the stanshions and pound the fork into thetube until race is down onto the crown. Star-nut use the socket trick, again work upside down cause you don't want to be stressing those drop outs by having then take direct pounding.
in the time and cost of finding, and buying said piece of PVC the LBS with correct tools would have the race seated and youd be one step closer to riding....

Just throwing in the "hassle" factor..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

That website doesn't make it look too hard. Getting any normal tools should be easy I am near a home depot, or worse comes to worse near that home depot is a good bike shop so either way I am set. Should be a good learning experience, not to mention I am knocking close to a pound off the front of my bike! One other thing, does the star nut come with the fork or is it something I need to buy seperately? I assume I'll need to pick one up locally should I buy a extra in case I mess up the first time?.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
mikeyp187 said:
That website doesn't make it look too hard. Getting any normal tools should be easy I am near a home depot, or worse comes to worse near that home depot is a good bike shop so either way I am set. Should be a good learning experience, not to mention I am knocking close to a pound off the front of my bike! One other thing, does the star nut come with the fork or is it something I need to buy seperately? I assume I'll need to pick one up locally should I buy a extra in case I mess up the first time?.
Yeh, you'll need to purchase the star nut yourself and having a spare around isn't a bad idea - they're cheap as hell. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
Bearing race is easy just get a piece of PVC pipe that slips over the streerer and is the same OD as the races OD. Hold the fork upsidedown by the stanshions and pound the fork into thetube until race is down onto the crown.
I second the PVC pipe method; it makes it really easy to seat the race. As far as cutting the steering tube, use a pipe cutter. They aren't designed to to cut hardened steel, but as long as you take your time and don't over-tighten it you won't damage the cutting wheel. Also, instead of a star nut you might think about using an azonic headlock. It is a little heavier, but it sure as hell is never going to slip like a star nut can. . . .

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
croatiansensation said:
Also, instead of a star nut you might think about using an azonic headlock. It is a little heavier, but it sure as hell is never going to slip like a star nut can. . . .
Yes you could use one of the alternative methods to tighten and hold down the stem on the steerer tube. I don't quite understand the slipping thing though- once you tighten the stem to the steerer tube you don't even need to have the top cap on anymore, it provides nothing the stem is what hold it all together.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My LBS charged $15, including reaming the headtube and installing the headset. Took 15 minutes, did it while I waited. Unless you're gonna install a lot of forks, I woulldn't bother getting the toos to do it yourself.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
croatiansensation said:
I second the PVC pipe method; it makes it really easy to seat the race. As far as cutting the steering tube, use a pipe cutter. They aren't designed to to cut hardened steel, but as long as you take your time and don't over-tighten it you won't damage the cutting wheel. Also, instead of a star nut you might think about using an azonic headlock. It is a little heavier, but it sure as hell is never going to slip like a star nut can. . . .
Hardened steel? SID?
Methinks it's got an aluminum steerer...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Rufudufus said:
My LBS charged $15, including reaming the headtube and installing the headset. Took 15 minutes, did it while I waited. Unless you're gonna install a lot of forks, I woulldn't bother getting the toos to do it yourself.
that's a good point. If it is no something you anticipate doing often, you may be better off to just pay for the labour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.