Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last two bikes have been stolen, first a Trek 820 then my Trek 3900 Disc. After a proper amount of swearing, I see this as a very good opportunity to upgrade.

All I know is I want a 29er, and I have a $1200-1500 budget. I am about 6'1" and a bit over 300 lbs and I love to ride single track/xc trails, mountain biking is probably the only reason I'm not saying over 400lbs.

I'm inclined to think I want a hard tail and I'm certain I don't want a single speed, I utilize my gears like, well, a fat man riding a bike. I also think I might want a steel frame bike I really enjoyed my 820 even though it was pretty low end, as I'm not really into this for a competitive aspect the extra weight doesn't really bother me.

Anyway I'm looking for some advise please recommend bikes/brands or just aspects of the bike I should look at. I really enjoy riding but I'm not pretending to be good at it or know much about it.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Maybe a Surly Karate Monkey. A steel frame that would be tough for a 300 pounder. They come complete as a SS but can be converted to gears within your budget. Or if that's too much trouble a Giant XTC 2. $1400 with a tapered head tube, 15mm thru axle fork and beefy rims to hold up to your weight. Or whatever your LBS can get you. Oh yeah, don't forget to lock this one up.:p

·
Registered
783 Posts
You should be able to get a nice 2011 closeout for $1500. If I was going Giant I would go XTC 1, I like the Fox fork on it better then the Marz on the 2. Jamis makes some good bikes too but I'd look around for a discounted 2011 now that the 2012's are out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just so everyone knows I do lock up my bikes... I happen to live on a college campus were people like to steal name brand bikes and sell them. Obviously whom ever is stealing the bikes doesn't know too much or they would have taken the higher end bikes not mine...

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Just so everyone knows I do lock up my bikes... I happen to live on a college campus were people like to steal name brand bikes and sell them.
Don't leave your new 29er unattended anywhere, even locked. Or, get a beater campus bike and save your money for a bike when your living arrangements are more secure?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Buy a Craigslist beater bike for campus, and forget about what the wheel size is. Save your money until out of school, a new bike is invitation to theft.
^this.

Buy something cheapish off craigslist wight the understanding that if you lose it it won't hurt as much.

I saw a beautiful 29r on local CL the other day, rigid fork, geared, lovely bike. When I went to look at again next morning, it was gone. Someone got a fantastic deal for $600.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.