Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fork is rated at 130 mm of travel, but when i measured the stanction tubes they measure only 120 mm, and if the stanchion tubes arent even 130 mm then the travel couldnt be at its max. I have never owned any sort of actual shocks until now (this is my first bike that isnt a supercycle) so anyways there are two knobs at the top with a + and - side which way would i turn for maximum travel? They are hydraulic and filled with oil, woul filling them with more oil or a different type get me the most travel? What can i do to get all 130 mm?

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
potvinwannab said:
My fork is rated at 130 mm of travel, but when i measured the stanction tubes they measure only 120 mm, and if the stanchion tubes arent even 130 mm then the travel couldnt be at its max. I have never owned any sort of actual shocks until now (this is my first bike that isnt a supercycle) so anyways there are two knobs at the top with a + and - side which way would i turn for maximum travel? They are hydraulic and filled with oil, woul filling them with more oil or a different type get me the most travel? What can i do to get all 130 mm?
congrats on owning ur first good fork, first off what type of fork is it? most likely the + and - mean more or less rebound, compression or something. your fork could not have enough oil in it, air, if it has preload.

but belive it or not that 10mm of extra travel you probly wont notice at all

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lolz its a suntour duro d, i think the + and - are preload and maybe there isnt enough oil because i can still hear it swishing around if i listen closely

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
As mentioned I wouldn't worry about 10mm. Most forks regardless of their travel will stop short of reaching full travel. This is used for bottom out control. Some forks use oil / air others bottom out bumpers. Just make sure it is set up properly ( oil levels spring rate) and ride it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Suntour may not be known for high-end forks, but their Axon-D 100mm, and Duro-D 130mm forks are decent entry-level forks. Hell, I liked my Axon-D a helluva lot better than the Manitou Black on my wife's Fisher Cake2.

The + & - is the rebound adjust knob..... But the biggest thing you can do for it is to put in a lighter weight fork oil. The stuff they use from the factory seems like it's almost 15w. A good 5w oil will improve the fork's responsiveness a LOT.

I saw a good amount of European mid-range bikes that were spec'd with either the Axon or Duro forks while I was there.

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Don't worry

A few things may be happening here, One possibility is that there is not enough oil. If you need to add oil it may be prudent to take it to a shop and have them do it, as this is your first bike. However, the part of the stanction you measured is only what is above the seal. There is still more below that. Furthermore, you want the fork to sag when you are on it so you could also just increase the preload. I think that it is probably just that you can only see 120 mm above the seals, and there is another 10 below. and for all of you ragging on him for only 10 mm that is about .4 in which is a lot when you only have a 4 in fork.

Good luck, and have fun with the new bike

·
eminence front
367 Posts
I have owned a Duro-D, the knobs on both sides are for preload only and there is no adjustment for rebound - you have to change the oil or mod the damper for that.

I modded mine heavily, by the end of its life it had a completely different damper and was using a bath of oil instead of the stock (crap) grease, it preformed significantly better.

Also, mine had about 135mm of stanchions showing.

BTW for entry level... that fork is pretty good. Id say it beats the entry level marzocchi forks (i.e. drop off & dirt jam).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.