Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Young Downhill Biker
109 Posts
hardtailll said:
I think it depends what. If its a DUI I don't know but if you get a DUI in canada your not aloud into the US but it depends where your coming from and what it is.

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
All I can say is don't make eye contact or look like a punk with the screeners when you are heading out the Vancouver airport.

...There are like 2 different international screening areas you pass thru when you arrive.
The first one is the US passport deal...no problem.
The 2nd can hit you blindsided and is the one to watch out for.
This is after you get your bags and head for the exit, you turn in your final piece of paperwork and they either "pull" you randomly out of the line or you pass by.

Us carring bike boxes which make us stand out....they are likely going to be checkin you out.
I was pulled aside and this little umpa lumpa of a wench GRILLED my azz. Gave stink eye to me, asked if I was lying, asked the misdermeaner thing and would not let up (I had a smirk on my face cause she was HILARIOUS). Finally I said "why don't you believe me?" and she let me go without draggin me over to the computer to look me up.
Scary **** and got me trippin...
Not to scare you off, just sharing what happened to me. It's total RANDOM pick tho so who knows.
I'd do some research and find out the situation...would suck if you get that Umpa Lumpa that I had and she break out the computer on yer azz.

·
Kid In The Helmet
206 Posts
you will be arrested at the border and shipped off to Afghanistan. vandals are the worst criminals.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
They let my buddy in with vandalism and resisting arrest charges. He got a SERIOUS grilling first though. The dude was smart and a hard a$$. Answer all questions honestly and don't expect to get away with anything.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't have one and far out, I got stopped and drilled with questions about 5 times between customs and the exit which is no more than a 30 metre walk!!!

Stopped by different officers, asking me the same stupid questions, marking my immigration declaration sheet once finished and then stopped by the next one hanging around the floor. I did ask the reason for them to stop me and ask the same questions and they wouldn't even have the courtesy to explain it so I just went with the flow.

My buddy, an English guy who left Canada about 5 yeras before that and owing the Tax Man a $600CAD fee was sh*t scared about them finding out but all good.

I assume the checks are done while your passport is stamped in immigration, anything after that is just the officers stopping you to look busy perhaps?

I am going back in September, 3rd time visit to YVR in less than a year and a half and sure they will be into me again.

·
Young Downhill Biker
109 Posts
My dad always has problems with Canadian borders in YVR. He is a dual citizen born in Switzerland and has passports from eather country's. When leaving to go back home in switzerland once he was surrounded by 5 eather CSIS or Border Secuirity people that looked like SWAT almost and he was asked how much money do you have on you and how much do you plan on taking out when oversee's and all that and this went on for maybe 5 minutes just when he was about to enter the hallway to go to the plane!!

another time was he was coming back into canada through YVR and my dad and my whole family got pulled over and my dad was asked lots of questions about his canadian passport and stuff and it turns out it was supposedly someone had reported his passport stolen when it never has been. They finnaly cleared it up and said it would never happen again but that whole stolen passport thing happend to him everytime he entered canada from any country.

My dad now has said he will always use his swiss passport, and I may just to but so far so good with my Canadian one but I am born in Canada so i should be ok.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I think they just taze you a bunch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dziekański_Taser_incident

Robert Dziekański (April 15, 1967 - October 14, 2007; Polish pronunciation: [ˈrɔbɛrt dʑeˈkaɲski]) was a Polish immigrant to Canada[2] who died on October 14, 2007, after being tasered five times[3] by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) at Vancouver International Airport.

Full details of the incident came to light because it was filmed by a member of the public, Paul Pritchard. The police initially took possession of the video, refusing to return it to Pritchard. Pritchard went to court to obtain it, then released it to the press.

The final inquiry report released Friday June 18, 2010 concluded the RCMP were not justified in using a Taser against the Polish immigrant and that the officers later deliberately misrepresented their actions to investigators.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
My buddy got grilled a few years back cause he had a DUII. (It's a felony in Canada.) They didn't have it on file, so they pulled him to an office to make him sweat I guess.

Me and another dude thought our trip was done...

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
My friend tried gettin in with vandalism charges... They shot him instanly. I was sad but still had a fun trip

·
外国人
412 Posts
there's a spot check there, if you can't spell misdemeanor correctly they'll give you a wedgie

·
Registered
174 Posts
Metanoia said:
there's a spot check there, if you can't spell misdemeanor correctly they'll give you a wedgie
LMAO, but the guy that wrote aloud when he meant allowed wins the prize.

And the prize is a dickshunary!!!

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
That was a sad story, it was all over the Polish news and the video of the incident was online. They really didn't need to go in like they did, he was isolated in a room and while certainly agitated (slamming chairs and such) all they needed to do was leave the door closed and get a translator. They guy was just waiting for his mom to pick him up.

gticlay said:
I think they just taze you a bunch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dziekański_Taser_incident

Robert Dziekański (April 15, 1967 - October 14, 2007; Polish pronunciation: [ˈrɔbɛrt dʑeˈkaɲski]) was a Polish immigrant to Canada[2] who died on October 14, 2007, after being tasered five times[3] by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) at Vancouver International Airport.

Full details of the incident came to light because it was filmed by a member of the public, Paul Pritchard. The police initially took possession of the video, refusing to return it to Pritchard. Pritchard went to court to obtain it, then released it to the press.

The final inquiry report released Friday June 18, 2010 concluded the RCMP were not justified in using a Taser against the Polish immigrant and that the officers later deliberately misrepresented their actions to investigators.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
Man this must be a west coast thing, or maybe an airport thing... last time I drove back into Canadia they didn't even check our passports*.

*mostly cos my wife was doing the talking, and she talks canadian. Me on the other hand with my German passport and kiwi accent would have got our asses searched, esp once they see all the random 'stan visas I have lol.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I live right near the border to Vancouver (there's actually 4 here) and Canada does sometimes turn people around for a DUI (no, I don't have one)... sometimes even if a passenger has one. They pretty much always ask for passports now-a-days while in the past they would just say 'whatcha doin?" You'd say "visiting for the day, then going back home" and they would say "k". Ever since 9/11 there's a bunch of questions.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
essenmeinstuff said:
with my German passport and kiwi accent would have got our asses searched
Is it true that they search your ass at the border? I'm not so sure I'd be into that but my buddy from San Francisco might.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts