Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait to ride again. I landed badly on a jump on Saturday. It was a small log .... less than 2 feet high that was built up on one side with small logs. It looked really easy. It ended in a nose wheelie, endo and face plant. .

I thought I got away with just a few bumps and bruises, but my back has been getting worse since Saturday. I went to see the doctor today. The doc took xrays and he thinks I may have a broken scapula and possibly a broken vertabrae in my neck. I'm hoping they're wrong. I find out tomorrow after the radiologist has a chance to review the pics.

So now I'm in a neck brace waiting to find out the good news. :(

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,610 Posts
Get well soon!

Hey BS, I hope you heal quick. Scheckler told me about the wreck the other day and I was concerned. Hopefully the injury is not as severe as the Dr's primary diagnosis. Keep us updated on the X-rays.

Injuries do suck, I've had my share, mostly from skateboarding. That's kinda why I took up MTBing, cause I was getting to beat up from skateboarding, and I needed the exercise.

That log is pretty sketchy, it requires a lot of speed, and some guts. Plus, the landing is kinda funky. See you on the trails soon.

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I can't wait to ride again. I landed badly on a jump on Saturday. It was a small log .... less than 2 feet high that was built up on one side with small logs. It looked really easy. It ended in a nose wheelie, endo and face plant. .

I thought I got away with just a few bumps and bruises, but my back has been getting worse since Saturday. I went to see the doctor today. The doc took xrays and he thinks I may have a broken scapula and possibly a broken vertabrae in my neck. I'm hoping they're wrong. I find out tomorrow after the radiologist has a chance to review the pics.

Sorry to hear this. Dont I feel like a s#@t. I hope this is not the case, I know you'll beat that long one day soon. Heal quick and keep me posted. Sorry I egged ya on.
Sean

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
I had one of those...

people would just stare at me as if i had 3 heads or something or i was gonna die right there and then. Ill bet your getting tired of explaining what happened to people the same way i did.

Well good luck with the x-rays and i hope the doc was overblowing the dianosis. I suppose theres allways a 2nd opinion in the case the doc seems knife happy..

PS: so what tires were you on?...bbbaaahhhaaaaahhhaaaaa

·
aka dan51
6,019 Posts
Blue Shorts said:

Wow, sorry to hear about this. I hope you recover quickly.
And here I was getting ready to send some PMs regarding a night ride tonight.

Did you eat it at that new tree down, or somewhere else?

Get well quick
-Dan

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
dan51 said:

Get well quick
-Dan

hey dan, how ya been. Yep the new tree, after I told him how easy it was. Ouch, foot in mouth.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
seat post collar inquiry..

dan51 said:

Get well quick
-Dan
Hey i noticed you sue a seat post collar. Can i ask where you found that? Also K-max posted a demo ride for saturday..................

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smw said:
Sorry to hear this. Dont I feel like a s#@t. I hope this is not the case, I know you'll beat that long one day soon. Heal quick and keep me posted. Sorry I egged ya on.
Sean
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the concern.

I'm betting (hoping) that the doctors are just being over cautious. I was floored when they told me that they suspected a break.......and here I was complaining that they were nuking me for no reason.

I went through this a couple of years ago. The pain was in the same place as it is now. I'm hoping that they just aren't very good at reading xrays.

Hey, Sean. It was my decision to jump. You didn't hold a gun to my head. No hard feelings.

I'm sure I'll be better soon.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Sean and I

dan51 said:

Get well quick
-Dan
were both there and witnessed it... it was not pretty and I was real concerned for him. He was tough though and rode back to my house to his vehicle.

Dan, I may or may not ride tonight... how is that for a committment? It depends on how hard it is raining. PM me later today.

·
aka dan51
6,019 Posts
scheckler said:
were both there and witnessed it... it was not pretty and I was real concerned for him. He was tough though and rode back to my house to his vehicle.

Dan, I may or may not ride tonight... how is that for a committment? It depends on how hard it is raining. PM me later today.
I left the bike at home after seeing that it had rained. Winter sucks. I am not very motivated to do anything. I got my new handlebars Monday, and have yet to install them. Normally I would have been up late Monday night getting it done. grrrrr [email protected] cold weather and short days.

Did you finally get a digital camera?!?!? I see you have a picture of your cat as an avatar now.

Blue Shorts - At least this happened during winter, and not during warm long days of summer. I guess that would be the only good point here. If your bike gets lonely, I'll be happy to give it a work out :)

-Dan

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scheckler said:

What do you mean "not pretty" I think that I really "stuck" the landing :eek:

Riding? Tonight? Bring paddles and life preservers if you decide to ride.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dan51 said:
Blue Shorts - At least this happened during winter, and not during warm long days of summer. I guess that would be the only good point here. If your bike gets lonely, I'll be happy to give it a work out :)

-Dan
Yeah. I guess it would be worse if it had happened during prime riding season.

I'll let you know if my bike gets lonely. Right now, it's in a disassembled state.

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Blue Shorts said:

I agree, it was just short of pretty. If ya would have held the balance point a second longer, then it would've been pretty. :p

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Blue Shorts said:

Riding? Tonight? Bring paddles and life preservers if you decide to ride.
Sorry to hear about the crash Bruce. I'm not familiar enough with UCSC to know where your crash occurred, but from the description, I think I know. Yikes! Hope you feel better.

Michael

1 - 20 of 33 Posts