Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some new grips in anticipation of my new bike, and now that its here I want the new grips off of my old bike. What's the best/easiest way to get them off of the handlebars without destroying them?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Try rubbing alcohol...

squeeze rubbing alcohol in the grips (you may has to pry the edges up with a wooden bbq stick).. work the alcohol around the grips until it breaks the bond and slips off...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you have compressed air at your disposal, stick a narrow nozzle in and they'll jump off...makes it easy to install new grips too (if you've selected ODI type for your new grip, you won't need to deal with this again).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did this recently when switching handlebars. The easiest way I found was to pinch the grip and inserting a finger tip or anything else you can fit in there and spraying windex. Work it around and just keep spraying windex into any gaps you can form between the grips and the bars and you should be able to just yank it off. You can use windex to put the new grips on too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Or... just use a wire coat hanger. Slide it in, work it all the way around and the grips will come off. I use this method all the time and rarely get scratches, but if you do, so what... the scratches are going to be covered by new grips, right?!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
The key is lubrication. Just don't use anything OILY! I once made that mistake and regretted it immediately when the grips simply wouldn't grip anymore - they absorbed the oil.

Now I use hairspray. Putting them on or taking them off it works like a charm. Lubricates to remove them, and it sticks when you want to put them back on.

And no, it doesn't matter if it's "firm hold" or not. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.