Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting my DHX 5.0 Pushed for my Bullit and looking for some feedback. Which rebuild option to you recommend? The standard rebuild or the delux rebuild? I use my Bullit mostly for downhill with some drops/jumps thrown in but nothing huge. Currently I'm about 240lbs geared up but will drop about 20lbs over the next few months.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions. :thumbsup:

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
67, I had two different length DHX coils on my Bullits and was disappointed with a slight mid-stroke harshness in them. My 5th coils were smoother IMO. If PUSH had existed when I had those DHX models, I probably wouldn't have sold them. That said, I might think that too-firm mid-stroke might be a benefit for 240lb. rider. Usually I'd always recommend the complete Race System PUSH, but perhaps if you're really happy with the function of the shock as it is, then maybe the regular PUSH will be fine. However, I'd bet PUSH will be able to optimize that shock to your weight, riding style, and the Bullit's suspension characteristic much better with the Race System...or deluxe as you called it. I got the max done to an old Fox Vanilla RC for a Nomad, and it was awesome.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
67degrees said:
Which rebuild option to you recommend? The standard rebuild or the delux rebuild?
You really want the Factory Tuning System as this is where the custom tuning comes in. You're a good bit heavier than the "normal" rider stock shocks are tuned for so you really NEED the extra custom work. The Factory Rebuild is for next year when you just need service after you get the tuning.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DHX vs. 5th Element

TNC said:
67, I had two different length DHX coils on my Bullits and was disappointed with a slight mid-stroke harshness in them. My 5th coils were smoother IMO. If PUSH had existed when I had those DHX models, I probably wouldn't have sold them. That said, I might think that too-firm mid-stroke might be a benefit for 240lb. rider. Usually I'd always recommend the complete Race System PUSH, but perhaps if you're really happy with the function of the shock as it is, then maybe the regular PUSH will be fine. However, I'd bet PUSH will be able to optimize that shock to your weight, riding style, and the Bullit's suspension characteristic much better with the Race System...or deluxe as you called it. I got the max done to an old Fox Vanilla RC for a Nomad, and it was awesome.
It's interesting that you mention the smoothness of the 5th Element over the DHX. My DHX seems to be lacking in mid-stroke firmness which used to be firmer. Bottoming resistence has also deminished and that is why I am considering the rebuild. The DHX on my Heckler performs much better than on my Bullit. I know they are different bikes but they are not that different. I still have the 5th Element that came with my Bullit and I put that shock back on the bike and it is incredibly smooth. The only thing I don't like about the 5th Element is its' lack of springyness when taking off of a jump. I am probably using the wrong terminology for this but I think you know what I mean. The DHX is much more lively in this respect.

People always seem to rave about their Pushed Fox shocks and that is why I'm seriously considering this option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.