Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to build a wheel with a Shimano Deore M525 disc hub and a Sun DoubleWide 26" rim.
I've seen two ERDs - a) 541 b) 545
My hubs dimensions are 61mm flange, both sides. Right side center to flange is 35.2, left is 24.2.
So, I obviously get different answers on the spoke calcs with the different ERDs.
If anyone knows which one is correct, I'd appreciate any info you've got.
And the answer to why I'm building this wheel is: I want a super fat footprint on my front wheel for snow riding, and that's what'll fit in my fork, and the rim was too cheap not to try it.
So thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
lobolator said:
Trying to build a wheel with a Shimano Deore M525 disc hub and a Sun DoubleWide 26" rim.
I've seen two ERDs - a) 541 b) 545
My hubs dimensions are 61mm flange, both sides. Right side center to flange is 35.2, left is 24.2.
So, I obviously get different answers on the spoke calcs with the different ERDs.
If anyone knows which one is correct, I'd appreciate any info you've got.
And the answer to why I'm building this wheel is: I want a super fat footprint on my front wheel for snow riding, and that's what'll fit in my fork, and the rim was too cheap not to try it.
So thanks in advance.
It is always best to measure wheel parts yourself. I use a couple of old spokes with nipples for ERD.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rim ERD is the most important dimension (of course they are all important) but the ERD affects the spoke length more than other measurements. That is to say error in the ERD will throw off the spoke length calculation more than similar errors in the other measurements. And Shiggy is right - it is best to measure yourself. For the rim measurements I take 8 evenly spaced measurements around the rim and use the average for the calculation.

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I'm back, sorry for dredging this up. I measured the ERD and got 543, go figure.
So using Damon Rinard's calculator I got 260.2 for both sides, using wheelpro i get 261 and 262.3, and on DT's i get 246 left and 247?
So I ignored DT, don't ask why, it was a hunch.
Having had luck using Rinard's spreadsheet before, I went for the 260's. I also had 260's at home and lots of time. So lacing up went fine, until the last 4 or so spokes. Just no way the were gonna reach the rim. Stopped took a break, came back and unlaced and relaced. Still a no go.
So I thought, hmm maybe I need 261 and 262?
Again I unlaced the wheel, found some 262 and relaced with those.
Now, I'm laced up, I've got all the right spokes (no mixing of sizes) and all are laced correctly. Some spokes are barely on the nipples and have tension, while others appear to have so much slack they will never tighten.
What am I doing wrong?
I thought you could use a spoke that was within 1mm of the calculated size.
Should I just start to tension and see what happens?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My first thought, based on your description, is that 262/264 would be a better fit (for DT spokes, WS would be 261/263). Also, your spoke tension problem, as you've described, may be a result of mixed spokes. You may have accidently mixed 261s with 262s, and vice-versa. Usually with really cheap spokes, or sometimes with nicer spokes that you've tightened the piss out of, the spoke stretches in length, and may lead to some of the spoke tension issues that you've described.

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, should've said I know spokes aren't mixed b/c 260's were DT and 262's Wheelsmith, they have distinctive stamps on the spoke head. But maybe my 262 WS aren't all 262, hmmm.....

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
double-check man

pull 'em all out and hold 'em vertical on a flat surface (threaded end down) while lightly gripping them all and segregate by height.
just make sure to put the shortest ones on the rotor (dished) side.
i know this probably seems obvious - but hey -brainfarts happen;)
and if you find they're still too long , try a 4-cross (i'm assuming you were doin' a 3)

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, fourth time is the charm.
Many thanks for the replies.
It went together so easy and trued up so easily that I'm gonna count my lucky spokes.
Here it is. Nothing fancy, but it should help keep my 140lbs floating on the snow.
I'll post up some more pics once it's got a tire and a bike to go on.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.