Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm signed up for La Ruta this Nov and have started shopping for an airline ticket from North Carolina. US Air offers the most options, but in looking through their info on their website regarding excess baggage I've discovered that they have a blackout date for excess baggage to Costa Rica that covers the race. I am used to getting nailed with a supplemental charge when travelling within the US, but I thought that generally speaking excess fees for bikes weren't charged on intl flights.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or with getting their bike to this race in particular? Suggestions?

Thanks, cheers - Vick

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
vick said:
I'm signed up for La Ruta this Nov and have started shopping for an airline ticket from North Carolina. US Air offers the most options, but in looking through their info on their website regarding excess baggage I've discovered that they have a blackout date for excess baggage to Costa Rica that covers the race. I am used to getting nailed with a supplemental charge when travelling within the US, but I thought that generally speaking excess fees for bikes weren't charged on intl flights.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or with getting their bike to this race in particular? Suggestions?

Thanks, cheers - Vick
US Air to LaRuta in 04. My bike was free. I would call to see if they changed their policy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just returned from Barbados last night on US Air. I took my bike with me at no charge. I WAS told that until recently(past few weeks) US Air was trying to charge for bikes, but that had been cancelled and they now followed suit with the other airlines, which do not charge for international travel.

Cannot comment on whether they have different regulations for certain countries or time periods.

I would give them a call to clarify.

BTW - If Leadville and possibly Shenandoah 100 go well for me, I may be joining you at La Ruta. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
La Ruta follow on Q's

teamdicky and mp3, do you guys have any recommendations on bike setup for la ruta? i'm going to ride FS and am considering tubeless tires. what do you think? any recommendations on tire model and width? from the descriptions i've read of the route it sounds like lots of fast terrain (thinking thin tires, high pressure), but lots of mud bogging too (thinking wider tires, lower pressure). any other random advice?

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
vick said:
teamdicky and mp3, do you guys have any recommendations on bike setup for la ruta? QUOTE]

I laughed when I read this. I did the bike on a single speed back in '04 so take my advice for what it is worth. UST is worth it in every endurance race as far as I am concerned. I don't want to deal with a flat when I am exhausted and I just got done riding through miles of mud. I would not go too racy with the tire selection, but big would be bad unless you have tire clearance. The terrain is varied everyday and throughout each day. If you have time you can read a VERY detailed report of my experience here:
http://teamdicky.blog.com/489784/
Set aside some time to read it and you'll have a real good idea what to expect. (unless they do some course changes, I heard rumors)

·
Registered
158 Posts
FS would be a little more comfortable for the rail road tracks on day 3 and you'd be able to bomb down the backside of the volcano on day 2 if it's not too wet. I used a FS with tubeless tires (Pythons) each time I've been down there, never had a flat. Pythons are a pretty popular choice among riders (both locals and foreigners). They shed mud pretty well but there will be sometimes that not matter what tire you have your bike will be a mud magnet and 10-15 pounds heavier.

There's info from five friends who have done La Ruta here. It might help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spoke to US Air today

the girl at customer service insisted that I would be charged an additional $80 each way for the flight to San Jose. i told her that I had heard that bikes went for free on intl flights, but she was not all that sharp and just reiterated that there would be an addtl fee. i am sure if i had called customer service back two more times i would have gotten fwo more (different) answers.

i also asked her about the restrictions I found on their website regarding excess baggage to CR during that time. she claimed that those were incorrect and that i would have no problem getting the bike checked (for the fee, of course). why do i see a train wreck coming at check in for the flight?

delta also has a flight that might work so I'll give them a call tomorrow.

BTW - thanks for all the gouge you guys have passed on, all great stuff. the write ups are awesome. teamdicky, you have my utmost respect if for no other reason than you must have an extraordinary tolerance for suffering!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.