Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my name is Igor and i just joined here, so hello all.

Now to the important stuff, I am getting back into the sport of riding, I will mainly ride aggressive trails, no crazy jumps or anything of that sort. Now my questions are, Should i go with a XC or FR bike, ive done a bit of research and come to the basic conclusion that a FR frame it built a bit stronger? but will the increase in rake make it difficult to traverse technical terrain? I am looking at Iron Horse bikes because they are priced very reasonably and i could upgrade the components as i desire with out the initial cost. My price range is at $900 for a complete bike, excluding riding gear, I am looking at full suespension bikes. If it help I am 5'7" and about 155lbs. Any and all input is welcome as long as its constructive.

TIA,
~Igor :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
yep, fr bikes are built stronger than xc bikes but if your hitting trails and planning on doing any peddling up any hills on these trails, then a fr bike might give you some problems...a good sturdy xc bike should be fine, but an am (all mountain) rig is probably what you will be most satisfied with, beefier (and heavier) than an xc but still able to take hills and what not
...unfortunately i do not know of any squishy bikes for that price range...suspensions are pricey, head to your lbs and tell them what and how you ride and they should be able to recommend a good bike for you

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You probably need to check out the local bike shops to see whats out there. I would stay away from the Iron Horse internet sales and check out some bikes that you can at least ride around the parking lot. A couple of places you might take a look at the might be within driving distance would be Performance Bike and their Mongoose Teocali and JensonUSA with maybe one of their Jamis bikes. I would stay with a lighter bike like maybe the Mongoose or a Jamis XC rig. The Local Bike Shop can often be just as competitive as any of the big sellers plus you are more likely to get a bike that fits right.

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
An XC/trail bike will do what you want. Free ride bikes are only good at "crazy jumps", nothing else.

The big problem is your budget. $900 full suspension rigs, well the Giant Yukon is getting a lot of love.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I understand that a budget of $900 will get me very little, but I am looking for a used bike, my LBS is big on stumpjumpers, I just cant justify spending over $1500 on a bike just yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i just got a call and landed a sweet gig!!! :D So now i can justify spending up to $1800.
So throw some bikes my way. New or used I just want to research the various manufactures and see what tickles my fancy. This has just made my day go from crappy to stoaked!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was going to recommend the base Jamis Daker, since it would fit your $900 budget/ It is a FS rig with a proven design, The components aren't great, but rideable and you can replace as you go.

Now for $1800, I am stuck as I never had that much to buy a bike. I am sure others will post. Good luck and congrats!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John, Funny that you should recommend the Jamis Dakar, I was at a LBS and was toying around with different bike and i think i have made my decision its the Jamis Dakar Xam 2! It was a little above my budget but i think i could talk them down a bit. On a side note does anyone know the wholesale price of the Xam 2?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Igor,

I've heard good things about Jamis, especially the bike I mentioned. It is an old design, however it still works well. I have no personal experience with their newer designs. My brother has a Cannondale Prophet that he is very happy with. The Lefty fork is very impressive. Heard good things about the Rush (a lighter version of the Prophet) also. My advice is to find a shop that rents bikes like these out and go for a test ride. They might charge you $30 or so, but to see what a bike is like on the trail before you drop that type of money is a good idea.

·
40 & Fast
313 Posts
My two cents would be something in the all mountain range ( 5-6 inches travel) its where I'm riding, tougher than XC, easier to ride than FR. All the bikes I like are spendy. Kona is the best bang for the buck for a tough bike (my opinion). Check out the Stinky series; look for a used one or cough up a few bucks and get a new one.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4949

1 - 11 of 11 Posts