Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm new here, been out of the bike scene since I got into 4x4s back in high school. Sold my '99 GT hardtail (don't remember the model name) to buy chromoly axle shafts for my old Chevy. That was 10yrs and 40lbs ago.

I've been reading and searching as much as possible trying to learn what I can before buying a bike. I've been looking at 29ers, they seem pretty cool. I'm gonna go this week and test ride a couple bikes. I've already looked at a few but didn't have time to ride anything. I'm looking at the giant talon 29er 2, felt nine trail and a specialized rockhopper 29. I'm sure there are plenty more I just dont know about them yet. I want to stay under $800.

So if anyone has any advise or suggestions is appreciate it. if not, I figured I'd introduce myself if nothing else.

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
The standard advice is to get fitted at a bike shop and then ride as many different brands as you can. They all have differences in geometry that may make them feel better or worse to you. You're on the right track with the bikes you're looking at. A hardtail is what you need given your price range, and it's generally better to spend as much as you can up front since it will cost more to replace stuff later. Don't forget to put aside some cash for a helmet, gloves, shorts, possibly a new seat and grips, etc. You might be able to get a deal on some of this stuff as part of the bike sale. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woohoo! wife says its cool if i go up to $1200 on a bike or so now! damn i gotta buy her diamonds more often!

i went to 3 LBSs and test rode a felt nine sport, giant XTC1, trek something (dont remember) and a specialized rockhopper comp 29er.

the specialized and felt were the most comfortable, next week on my days off i'll ride some more.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn that's some top shelf componentry for the price range. I'll have to find a motobecane dealer here in Vegas and ride one. thanks!

·
jalopy jockey
551 Posts
dieselfuel said:
woohoo! wife says its cool if i go up to $1200 on a bike or so now! damn i gotta buy her diamonds more often!

i went to 3 LBSs and test rode a felt nine sport, giant XTC1, trek something (dont remember) and a specialized rockhopper comp 29er.

the specialized and felt were the most comfortable, next week on my days off i'll ride some more.
Just get her riding. The budget skyrockets. Then again the expense doubles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, good idea man!

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
dieselfuel said:
Damn that's some top shelf componentry for the price range. I'll have to find a motobecane dealer here in Vegas and ride one. thanks!
And therein lies the catch with Bikesdirect. They have a shop or two. One in TX and one in FL that I know of. There aren't really any other places to see their bikes in person, let alone throw a leg over one. And if you need dealer support, it's not like you head over to a shop (unless you're near the locations I mentioned) and get it.

It is generally an attractive spec though if you are up for the risk of buying without a test ride.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jeffj said:
And therein lies the catch with Bikesdirect. They have a shop or two. One in TX and one in FL that I know of. There aren't really any other places to see their bikes in person, let alone throw a leg over one. And if you need dealer support, it's not like you head over to a shop (unless you're near the locations I mentioned) and get it.

It is generally an attractive spec though if you are up for the risk of buying without a test ride.
Yeah, I'm not comfortable with that.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Bikes Direct has a 30 day no questions asked return if you don't like it send it back. You will be hard pressed to find anything close for the price. I order online all of the time and save lots of money doing so. Most good stores online will give you a good 30 day test ride if you would rather get a bike with cheap parts go for it. In your price you will get all entry level parts son your bike from a lbs but that bd bike I showed you is hot for the prise everything on it is high end stuff just compare. I cant under stand why you would want to go with something else. Another thing working on a bike is easy and the internet has thousands of how to vids i learned to work on my bike no problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's cool that they offer that, definitely makes it more appealing. but relax a little man, I never said it was a stupid idea to buy online. And as far as working onmy own stuff, i'm a diesel mechanic, I think I can handle a bike.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I learned the hard way about getting a bike with cheap parts. My first bike was good but had some low end parts on it and the parts went bad fast. EX the hubs front and rear rear 2 times the cassette 2 times the brakes the headset all in the first year. I was lucky I live in Europe and we have a two year warranty on everything. Anyway my point is as long as the frame feels good the BD bike has no weak link on it so you wont have your equipment failing in the first year. Here is a link to my first bike as you can see its not a bad bike.

http://www.focusbikesuk.com/focus-hardtail-mountain-bikes/mountain_bike_black_forest.php

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am also a big fan of the giant bikes. I looked at the bikes you tested you should be able to get a much better bike in your price. If I were you I would not purchase a bike until you run it past us first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jpeters said:
I am also a big fan of the giant bikes. I looked at the bikes you tested you should be able to get a much better bike in your price. If I were you I would not purchase a bike until you run it past us first.
Yeah I really liked the giants also. That's the plan, between this forum and a couple friends that have ridden for years I'll be good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts