Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Things got kind of crazy with work and raising a family (I know...no excuse). But now I am getting back into riding again.

I have a Specialized Epic Disc that I think I got back in 2001 or '02 and I liked it but never rode it that much.

I've moved to Western NC and there are some trails close buy. My usual ride will be 7-10 miles with an occasional 20+ mile with a combination of windy single track with some roots and rocks with some fireroads. I'm 42 years old and 6'4" and 245lbs. and I've got strong legs for short bursts of speed, but I'm obviously not a climber.

I'm considering getting a 29er and thought a full suspension would be a good next bike, but I've never ridden one. I would say I'm the weekend warrior type, but I ride for fun, not to compete or break bones. I'll probably ride 2-4 times/month.

I've met a great guy at a bike shop who can get me a phenomenal deal on the Lynske Hardtail 29er and they also carry Cannondale (no dual suspenstion 29er yet) and Foes.

I'm wondering if I should consider other bikes like the Fischer or Santa Cruz Tall Boy (in which case I would need to go to another shop and not get nearly as good of a deal).

I have a budget of around $4k but I can go over if needed.

Any input for my size and type of riding I do would be greatly appreciated!

My first mountain bike back in college was and Alpine Star XT when RockShox were the newest thing. Hell, the internet wasn't even around then! How things have changed. I'm getting old, but trying to stay young by riding more again!

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
nevermiss said:
Things got kind of crazy with work and raising a family (I know...no excuse). But now I am getting back into riding again.

I have a Specialized Epic Disc that I think I got back in 2001 or '02 and I liked it but never rode it that much.

I've moved to Western NC and there are some trails close buy. My usual ride will be 7-10 miles with an occasional 20+ mile with a combination of windy single track with some roots and rocks with some fireroads. I'm 42 years old and 6'4" and 245lbs. and I've got strong legs for short bursts of speed, but I'm obviously not a climber.

I'm considering getting a 29er and thought a full suspension would be a good next bike, but I've never ridden one. I would say I'm the weekend warrior type, but I ride for fun, not to compete or break bones. I'll probably ride 2-4 times/month.

I've met a great guy at a bike shop who can get me a phenomenal deal on the Lynske Hardtail 29er and they also carry Cannondale (no dual suspenstion 29er yet) and Foes.

I'm wondering if I should consider other bikes like the Fischer or Santa Cruz Tall Boy.

I have a budget of around $4k but I can go over if needed.

Any input for my size and type of riding I do would be greatly appreciated!

My first mountain bike back in college was and Alpine Star XT when RockShox were the newest thing. Hell, the internet wasn't even around then! How things have changed. I'm getting old.
With your budget, you've got a lot of choices. See if your bike shop can let you test some different bikes so you know if you want a hardtail or full suspension, and if full suspension what kind and how much would best suit you.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The world is your oyster, start seeking bike demos and ride as many different bikes as possible. 4k is a big budget but please don't settle until you ride at least 10 different bikes. Hit the peeps up on the trails you ride. You may find custom may be an option, you got bystickle in your hood he builds some pretty cool bikes....

Oh welcome back to the addiction...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As said, you've got a boat load of choices with that budget, best thing to do is test ride as many bikes as you can and figure out if you want the FS or if you'd prefer a HT. At 6'4" I'd definitely say 29er, but that FS vs HT thing is your choice, but don't let one LBS tie you into a specific brand if you've got more shops within your area, drive about and test, test, test. You're not alight guy, so biggest thing I think, is to make sure you get a good, bomb proof set of wheels and either 15/20mm TA fork.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.