Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Florida Rider
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gettin new cranks, bb, chainring, chain, and single speed kit. What would you suggest? I want to get cranks that I would be able to maybe use with a single ring up front with a chainguide in the future, and the chainring I would like to have be small and blingy :D Im thinkin a shadow half-link chain or a kmc kool, and for a SS kit I was thinkin of getting the gusset one from jenson. Im riding a giant STP and it has a euro bottom bracket with 135mm rear axle spacing if it matters.

I have a total budget of about $250+/- dollars so keep that in mind and I also can get some of this used...

thanks

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
You're sure its a Euro BB? I thought the STP had an ISIS BB.

Anyway Shimano Saint cranks, and an e.13 are the way to go. The Saint already has the Bash guard on it though.

If you really want something small and "blingy" Primo Hollow bites, or Odyssey Wombolts are the way to go. Paired with a Tree Bike Co sprocket they are pretty damn "blingy." Also Profile Racing make a killer set of cranks, might want to look at those. But you need a BMX style BB for that.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
ISIS BBs are euro threads. I wouldn't bother with SS kits, just get a bunch of aluminum cassette spacers. Profiles, Odysseys, and Primos can all use a Euro BB.
My bad, I never knew that. Thanks for telling me :)

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
snaky69 said:
Can't you pretty much built a dishless wheel?
Eh, maybe that was phrased badly. With a conventional cassette hub, usually one side uses shorter spokes. The drive side usually also has a much higher spoke tension. With a SS hub, you can use more even tension on both sides.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Eh, maybe that was phrased badly. With a conventional cassette hub, usually one side uses shorter spokes. The drive side usually also has a much higher spoke tension. With a SS hub, you can use more even tension on both sides.
even dishless wheels use higher tension on the drive side..

a ss hub the wheel should be dishless because the hub flange spacing is even or close to even on both sides.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
fiddy_ryder said:
even dishless wheels use higher tension on the drive side..

a ss hub the wheel should be dishless because the hub flange spacing is even or close to even on both sides.
If the flange spacing is completely even on both sides, drive and non-drive side spoke tension should be equal all around. If the drive side tension is higher, it will pull the rim towards the drive side.

It's been a while since I've built a wheel, but with a cassette hub, I believe the driveside spokes have about double the tension as non-drive. This is because the hub flange is offset to make room for the cassette.

·
Florida Rider
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can I use saint cranks with a tree chainwheel or is it only for 3pc cranks? and could I use power/hollowbites with a chainguide if I ever wanted to put them on a different bike? right now I think that profiles are the only cranks that will possibly work with a chainguide, so I will probably go with those with the tree chainwheel.

The reason im getting new cranks is that I ****ed my bottom bracket and my cranks suck so Im just gonna replace the whole thing. maybe in the future ill get a new rear hub.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Saints do not use a special Shimano interface. They use a standard 4 bolt 104BCD pattern. You can not use a Tree sprocket on these. However, if you want to run a MTB chainring on a BMX crank, you can buy an adapter spider that will allow you to do so.

As said, most cranks can be used with chainguides. E13 has a chainguide specific for microdrive setups.

·
Florida Rider
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what sort of gearing should I get? I usually ride in like the 4th or 5th cog in back with a single ring up front if thats any help. And i ride alot of dj's and freeridish stuff, not a lot of street.

·
Florida Rider
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
atomrcrkhsbiker said:
what sort of gearing should I get? I usually ride in like the 4th or 5th cog in back with a single ring up front if thats any help. And i ride alot of dj's and freeridish stuff, not a lot of street.
right now what I have lined up is...wethepeople royal crank...http://www.danscomp.com/451091.php?cat=PARTS its almost exactly like the profiles, but less expensive with a shadow crow lite chainwheel or a tree original chainwheel and a shadow half link chain.

sound good? and I still need help with that gearing....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.