Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this up in the 29er section but thought I'd add it here:

Ok I bought a Ripley last year and haven't had a chance to ride it. I bought it in November and live in Michigan so no chance to ride it. I am having a wheelset built up right now. Chris King Hubs and Stans Crest rims. The bike was shipped to me with original wheelset with a 2.3 WTB Weirwolf in front and a 2.2 WTB Wolverine in back. I bought the bike from Yuba Expeditions in Downieville, CA and they said they put those tires on because they work great for the terrain out there. They also sent me the original tires that were never put on the bike which are the 2.1 Specialized Ground Control for front and 2.0 Specialized Fast Trak for the back.

Now I have no experience with either the WTB's or the Specialized. My El Padrino 29er HT has Maxxis Ignitor's in 2.1 on them and I love those tires and my El Bastardo 650B has 2.25 Racing Ralphs on them. I like the Ignitors better for the terrain I ride than the Ralphs, they seem to have more grip in the corners. With that being said and since I have 2 sets of tires that are brand new what do you suggest I put on the Ripley? The WTB's or the Specialized? Like I said I have no experience with either tire set.

I ride in Michigan exclusive which is trail/XC country oriented. A lot of up and down rolling hills. Lots of rocks and tree roots to deal with. If you are familiar with the Metro Detroit area rides I do Island Lakes, Pontiac Lake and Poto.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your WTB setup is more trail oriented.
Specialized Ground Control (trail) and Fast Track (XC) combo is all around good tires for XC/medium technical trails. I have a 2.2 Ground Ground Control up front and a 2.2 Fast Track in the rear on my 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro 29er. They are relatively light, durable, and provide good traction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.