Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought a Ripley last year and haven't had a chance to ride it. I bought it in November and live in Michigan so no chance to ride it. I am having a wheelset built up right now. Chris King Hubs and Stans Crest rims. The bike was shipped to me with original wheelset with a 2.3 WTB Weirwolf in front and a 2.2 WTB Wolverine in back. I bought the bike from Yuba Expeditions in Downieville, CA and they said they put those tires on because they work great for the terrain out there. They also sent me the original tires that were never put on the bike which are the 2.1 Specialized Ground Control for front and 2.0 Specialized Fast Trak for the back.

Now I have no experience with either the WTB's or the Specialized. My El Padrino 29er HT has Maxxis Ignitor's in 2.1 on them and I love those tires and my El Bastardo 650B has 2.25 Racing Ralphs on them. I like the Ignitors better for the terrain I ride than the Ralphs, they seem to have more grip in the corners. With that being said and since I have 2 sets of tires that are brand new what do you suggest I put on the Ripley? The WTB's or the Specialized? Like I said I have no experience with either tire set.

I ride in Michigan exclusive which is trail/XC country oriented. A lot of up and down rolling hills. Lots of rocks and tree roots to deal with. If you are familiar with the Metro Detroit area rides I do Island Lakes, Pontiac Lake and Poto.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Curious, how much you weigh? After giving Crests a try for the weight side of things, I'd definitely recommend against them unless you're racing competitively and every gram counts, they are super flexy, even for me @ about 175lbs geared to ride.

As to the tyres, I'd say give WTBs a shot, see how they perform on your terrain, if they don't work, the try the others, but I'm guessing that the WTBs will give you a closer handling experience to your Ignitors than the other tyres will.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious, how much you weigh? After giving Crests a try for the weight side of things, I'd definitely recommend against them unless you're racing competitively and every gram counts, they are super flexy, even for me @ about 175lbs geared to ride.

As to the tyres, I'd say give WTBs a shot, see how they perform on your terrain, if they don't work, the try the others, but I'm guessing that the WTBs will give you a closer handling experience to your Ignitors than the other tyres will.
That is not good news. I weigh 170 geared up so right with you. I have the Crest on my 650B El Bastardo and they work great and I don't feel the flex. Maybe with the 29er's they flex more. I'm hoping that with the fatter Chris King hubs I won't feel the flex. I guess if they don't work out I'll still have the Arch's from my original wheelset and can have the wheels rebuilt with the Archs. However in Michigan you don't get big drop-offs and stuff like that. I think I'll be allright with the Crest.

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
Agree with arches... but depends on your rough factor and riding style give em a try. 170 all geared up you may be ok.

WTB TCS (their tubless system, big yellow sticker) tires *will not* work on stans rims so if they are that type forget it. This is direct from stans. WTB tires are great though.

The Fast track and Ground control is a decent medium traction combo and work well on the rims assuming they are the 2Bliss version. Spec tires a pretty solid.

My combo of choice although expensive is Racing Ralph Rear Nobby Nic 2.25 in front (I like traction)

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
Yeah I need the extra traction out here in Dry Socal ... its a great combo... TLR Snakeskin PaceStar etc works great on Stans, if you check the fluid every month or two and dig out the stanimals...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I need the extra traction out here in Dry Socal ... its a great combo... TLR Snakeskin PaceStar etc works great on Stans, if you check the fluid every month or two and dig out the stanimals...
I'm thinking since I live in Michigan and you in So Cal the Crest might be ok for my local trails. I am sure your trails in SoCal are way more aggressive and tough on rims. Like I said I love my Crest on my 650B Ventana El Bastardo and feel no flex or maybe I just don't know what flex feels like. LOL

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WTB TCS (their tubless system, big yellow sticker) tires *will not* work on stans rims so if they are that type forget it. This is direct from stans. WTB tires are great though.
However my Ripley is set up with the original wheelset that has Stans Arches and the WTB tires have been on them and they are working fine. So not sure why Stan's say they won't work?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If your trails are dry/dusty/loose, then the Nobby Nic works great, but if they're wet with slick roots, not the best tyre for those conditions. As to the rims, I would "weight weenie" out in this dept, you just loose precision with the Crests I find and you'll never know until you try an stiffer rim/wheel.

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
Why waste your time with the Crest rims on a Ripley. I live in SE MI and ride Stony--so similar rocky, rooty ups and downs. The Crest has a 100kgf limit on spoke tension. It used to be 90. I build my wheels. What that means is the non drive side of the rear gets 70-75kgf to produce the right dish. When you hit a bump in a curve that low spoke tension is likely to flex and let the nipple loosen. You will need to true often and maybe replace broken spokes. For our riding that rim is useless. I'm looking at the Wide Lightning on a hardtail build and have been very happy with Arch Ex rims on Dt star ratchet hubs.
Nobby Nic front and Rocket Ron rear is a tire option. I am also going to use a Bontrager XR1. It had the same grip as a NN with faster rolling speed when I road them on a demo last year.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why waste your time with the Crest rims on a Ripley. I live in SE MI and ride Stony--so similar rocky, rooty ups and downs. The Crest has a 100kgf limit on spoke tension. It used to be 90. I build my wheels. What that means is the non drive side of the rear gets 70-75kgf to produce the right dish. When you hit a bump in a curve that low spoke tension is likely to flex and let the nipple loosen. You will need to true often and maybe replace broken spokes. For our riding that rim is useless. I'm looking at the Wide Lightning on a hardtail build and have been very happy with Arch Ex rims on Dt star ratchet hubs.
Nobby Nic front and Rocket Ron rear is a tire option. I am also going to use a Bontrager XR1. It had the same grip as a NN with faster rolling speed when I road them on a demo last year.
Like I said I have Crest rims on my El Bastardo and have had great success. So I didn't think I was "wasting my time" by getting them. Also I think that who build's the wheels has a lot to do with how well they hold up. The shop that is building my wheels 3 of the guys from that shop ride Crest and put over 2000 hard miles a summer on their bikes and they all told me they have no problem with the Crest at all. I am sure they ride a lot harder and many more miles than I will. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
However my Ripley is set up with the original wheelset that has Stans Arches and the WTB tires have been on them and they are working fine. So not sure why Stan's say they won't work?
Regular WTB tires will work their TCS (Tubeless Compatible System) will not work or are *extermely*** hard to get on
TCS | WTB
You can't miss the TCS they have a giant yellow Font / Sticker that says TCS if you don't see it then its their regular tires.

Will not work
NoTubes Recommended Tires

so you most have the regular version...or someone really wedged them on the rims

I also like the Bonti XR3 for a rear..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regular WTB tires will work their TCS (Tubeless Compatible System) will not work or are *extermely*** hard to get on
TCS | WTB
You can't miss the TCS they have a giant yellow Font / Sticker that says TCS if you don't see it then its their regular tires.

Will not work
NoTubes Recommended Tires

so you most have the regular version...or someone really wedged them on the rims

I also like the Bonti XR3 for a rear..
Yeah mine are the TCS version of the WTB's so yep someone at Yuba Expeditions did a great job getting those WTB's on those rims. However the TCS lettering on my tires isn't yellow font it is white. I guess I'll just leave them on as my spare wheelset and put the Specialized tires on my new wheelset and ride them until I need new ones. No sense in spending money when I already have a brand new pair still in the packaging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.